cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

petesdragon
Journeyman III

How can I stop my PC freezes getting worse?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bMKXL2

I am having issues with my PC freezing - At first it was randomly when under high stress, now it is freezing at the bios screen of startup.

I bought the platform (RAM, CPU & Mobo) from a friend and added a 1050Ti and the rest you can see here.

When the PC was under high-ish stress (Cities Skylines, Chrome and Spotify) it would ocasionally freeze, with no movement on the screen and no sound. Once the system had frozen there would be no error logs or events, and the only solution would be to reboot the PC. I initially thought it was the CPU temperature getting high so I bought the H60.

The problem persisted, so I recently tried reinstalling graphics card drivers, which would occasionlly cause a freeze again, when running no other programs.

I then thought I'd look at the Mobo. The guy who owned it before me was into overclocking so maybe he'd left some settings higher than they ought to. I have resetted the mobo several times, and checked that all settings are default, but the problem persists still. I then booted the PC normally and a bluescreen crash had occured. Whilst rebuilding the image, the PC froze again, leaving me in a state of no usable PC.

I have tried different Graphics cards and the issue persists.

The only persistent freeze I can cause is by entering the GPU.DIMM Post menu. The menu freezes as soon as the GPU and RAM appears.

I then attempted to update the BIOS firmware (to 1703). After this upgrade the PC now freezes on the BIOS screen ('Press Del to enter BIOS' screen) whether I press Del or not.

Any help is appreciated. I'm at a loss here, and when I was creating the PCPart list for this post I saw that my CPU and Mobo are incompatible with each other but I cannot find anything to back this up.

At the moment I'm considering packing it all in and going intel.

0 Likes
1 Solution

That is the problem. Your Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard DOESN"T SUPPORT nor is COMPATIBLE with the FX 9590 AMD Processor.

This is the list of all AMD FX compatible processors with the supporting BIOS versions from Asus Support on your motherboard: CROSSHAIR V FORMULA CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

The highest FX Processor that particular Motherboard supports and is compatible with is the FX 8350 Processor with BIOS Version 1703.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

That is the problem. Your Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard DOESN"T SUPPORT nor is COMPATIBLE with the FX 9590 AMD Processor.

This is the list of all AMD FX compatible processors with the supporting BIOS versions from Asus Support on your motherboard: CROSSHAIR V FORMULA CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

The highest FX Processor that particular Motherboard supports and is compatible with is the FX 8350 Processor with BIOS Version 1703.

Thanks for confirming this - Bit annoying but I'm sure I'll be fine with a cheap replacement!

0 Likes
nickjackalson
Adept III

Hi

As Elstaci stated, that CPU overloads (220W) mobo power, try undervolt&underclocking to fx8350 levels

0 Likes

I have always understood that the motherboard's BIOS must also support the processor. Even if the OP does down clock or under volt  the Processor to simulate a FX8350 if the BIOS doesn't recognize the FX 9590 as a FX 8350, in my opinion, he will still have incompatible issues with the motherboard and processor.

There is no harm to see if it will work by under volting or underclocking the processor as long as the OP knows what he is doing.

0 Likes

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing! For now I think a replacement CPU like an fx 8350 will do me fine until I can upgrade the whole platform in the future. Thanks both.

0 Likes

I have a FX 8350 Processor and it is an excellent processor. Even when the processor overheated a couple of time and shut down the computer while backing up my computer due to the very old extra strong Stock CPU Cooler that had become defective.

I have had it since it first came out and haven't had any issues at all with my FX 8350.

Just my personal opinion as an owner of a FX 8350.

Good Luck on your next computer build.

0 Likes