cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amirkhansinga
Journeyman III

How can I get my 3-screen Asus laptop setup (built-in, HDMI, and HDMI -> hub -> USB-C) working corre

Installing NixOS for the first time. On an Asus Zephyrus laptop. Works surprisingly well, but I'm having HDMI -> hub -> USB-C display issues, among other more minor things.

First I installed the Plasma5 version of nixos. My monitor that is connected directly with an HDMI plug works as well as the built in laptop screen, but my monitor connected via USB-C (HDMI -> Hub -> USB-C) doesn't work - its connected to a USB hub via HDMI where the hub is connected to the laptop via USB-C. It works on my windows machine so I know the hardware is compatible.

I found out that using services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ "nvidia" ]; can make the monitor connected via USB-C work perfect, however in that case my other two monitors (including the laptop screen) don't work at all (black screens, or mostly black possibly with a little non-moving cursor in the top right corner). I haven't been able to find a configuration that makes all 3 work at the same time on the Plamsa5 version.

Here's my configuration: https://pastebin.com/p8CHCHWQ . You can see all the options I've played around with.

I then tried switching to the Gnome Nixos iso installer. Surprisingly, the default settings worked a bit better. All 3 screens were available for placing windows. The only problem is that the USB-C monitor has the right ~1/3rd of the screen showing windows but it flashes when things move around the screen (any screen, not just that screen). And The right ~2/3rds of the screen is black. Weirdly, if I move my mouse around on the screen, the cursor shows up correctly everywhere it moves - even over the black part.

I did find also that services.xserver.videoDrivers = [ "nvidia" ]; will again cause the USB-C monitor to work, but causes the other two monitors to not work (not display things and not be recognized as monitors where the mouse or windows can move to).

I'm on a new Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401 GA401IU-PB96 with an AMD Ryzen 4000 series processor and Nvidia Geforec GTX graphics card.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on or what I can try?

0 Likes
0 Replies