cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

killian6pk
Journeyman III

How can I contact Customer Support with a warranty question?

I bought an R7 2700X that came with a Wraith Prism cooler.  When trying to install the cooler it was very hard to get it to lock onto the motherboard.  After several try's I decided to take the cooler off and see if I was doing something wrong.  The thermal paste was so sticky that it pulled the R7 out of the socket with the locking lever in the down position.   This bent some pins.  Can this be repaired by AMD and if so how do I contact Customer Support?  I have been trying for over an hour to find out how to contact them with no luck.  I believe this should be a warranty claim sense the cooler did not work properly and the chip was able to come out of the socket even with the locking lever in the down and locked position.

0 Likes
2 Replies

AMD Warranty doesn't cover bent or broken pins on a processor.

Even though the CPU Cooler may have been defective but the moment you tried to remove the CPU Cooler and the Processor came out and was damaged is considered to be "Customer Error" thus the Warranty is voided.

In my opinion it is considered to be Customer Error because there are ways to remove the CPU Cooler that are stuck to the processor without damaging it.  Since the processor wasn't damaged when you installed it but after you tried to remove the CPU Cooler causing the processor's pins to be bent thus it was your fault for not being more careful in removing a stuck CPU Cooler from the processor. AMD specifically states that Broken or Bent Pins are not covered by AMD Warranty.

If the pins are not too badly bent, there are many YouTube videos that shows you how to properly unbend the pins without breaking them.

Don't feel bad, this has happened to many other Users when they tried to remove the CPU Cooler and ended up damaging the Processor.

But if you still want to try and open a AMD Warranty Request here is the correct link:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form 

This AMD Warranty link explains what is covered and what isn't concerning AMD Processors: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib 

0 Likes

I very much doubt you will be able to return the CPU with bent pins after admitting that you bent them yourself.

You would be best contacting the retailer that you purchased it from and economising with the truth.

Bent pins can be straightened if you do it carefully with the thick end of a needle and magnifying glass or strong reading glasses.

Andy

0 Likes