cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rajeshvlb
Adept I

High Vcore voiltage in stock settings ryzen 5 3600

I am using ryzen 5 3600 with msi b450 tomahawk max. I am in latest bios supporting latest agesa for R 5000 series. Everything is at stock settings in BIOS. Now I am monitoring Vcore voltage. There I am seeing 0.5-1.41v at idle with 35 to 50 degrees in idle; that's completely fine. But when running cinebench r15 CPU test my Vcore peaks to 1.38 and afetr few secs it swinging around 1.36 or 1.37v.

This is making me afraid, bcz safe voltgae for TSMC's 7nm fabrication is 1.3v but it hits 1.38 at full load

so please help me!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Thanks, rajeshvlb, I replied earlier and it is gone.  Here is a little:  I do not believe much I read on forums and I recommend you be very skeptical.   You own the hardware and can do as you wish but I choose to accept what AMD prompts my Ryzen to do including Core Voltage well over 1.4 Volts.  If you do not like it, then restrict it to less than your limit.  I do not overclock or under clock, so cannot tell you how to do it.  Please post here asking and I am sure plenty will tell you.  I stay away from the BIOS except to set XMP and NUMA mode and have great performance with my Ryzens.  I expect you will lower your performance, perhaps seriously by restricting your Core Voltage below what AMD will set it and millions of users run ever day.  Good luck.  Enjoy,  John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

rajeshvib, how do you know this?:

"...safe voltgae for TSMC's 7nm fabrication is 1.3v..."

Please give references.

Do you really think the AMD processor designers are not aware of the limits of the process they are using?

Thanks, John.

0 Likes

I have read a post in reddit about TSMCs 7nm fab technology there they have mentioned about the maximum acceptable voltage range.

Ok even is 1.38v acceptable at full load?

0 Likes

Thanks, rajeshvlb, I replied earlier and it is gone.  Here is a little:  I do not believe much I read on forums and I recommend you be very skeptical.   You own the hardware and can do as you wish but I choose to accept what AMD prompts my Ryzen to do including Core Voltage well over 1.4 Volts.  If you do not like it, then restrict it to less than your limit.  I do not overclock or under clock, so cannot tell you how to do it.  Please post here asking and I am sure plenty will tell you.  I stay away from the BIOS except to set XMP and NUMA mode and have great performance with my Ryzens.  I expect you will lower your performance, perhaps seriously by restricting your Core Voltage below what AMD will set it and millions of users run ever day.  Good luck.  Enjoy,  John.

0 Likes