cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

avinath321
Journeyman III

High vcore and edc

I bought ryzen 2700x and paired with msi x470 gaming pro carbon and gskill cl16 3200mhz 16gb ram, I have not changed any settings in bios but EDC is always 90 to 100% and voltage stays between 1.35 to 1.46 v when idle and 1.35 while load , temperature is around 30 to 40c when idle and 45 to 60c while playing games.. is it normal for ryzen cpus

0 Likes
1 Solution

avinath321, I have no experience with changing  power plan settings.  Please try the Windows Balanced plan and see if you like it better.  The Ryzen plan is for performance.  Many users have posted about wildly varying voltages, currents, clocks, temperatures etc.  It all seems to go with Ryzen.  I hope you are using Ryzen Master only to report observed parameters.  Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

avinath321, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  I suspect it is normal for your system.  What power plan are you running?  Do you wish to OC?  Do these numbers bother you?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I have not changed anything only xmp profile

i don't want to overclock just want xfr do its job

only the voltage and temp bother me, but they change frequently.....

plan.png

0 Likes

Thanks, avinath321, looks OK to me but if you want to be less close to the limits, then you can change the power plan to the Windows Balanced.  This is an area to experiment.  Here are your specifications:

2700X.jpg

As long as you stay below 85C, you should be OK.  Enjoy, John.

I am using Amd Balanced plan but when I set the processor power state minimum to 5% core voltage spikes up o.8 v to 1.5v , it changes frequently , they never stay for long.

0 Likes

avinath321, I have no experience with changing  power plan settings.  Please try the Windows Balanced plan and see if you like it better.  The Ryzen plan is for performance.  Many users have posted about wildly varying voltages, currents, clocks, temperatures etc.  It all seems to go with Ryzen.  I hope you are using Ryzen Master only to report observed parameters.  Enjoy, John.

avinath321
Journeyman III

now i am using Windows Balanced plan and vcore is now .80625v but sometimes it spikes up to 1.51v but for short time (<=1sec) is it normal?...... is it going to damage cpu?

0 Likes

avinath321, as you know, I am a user and cannot speak for AMD.  I do not think what you are seeing will in any way damage your processor.  Many users post about these variations.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The voltage spikes are normal for Ryzen CPU/APUs. It often caused by XFR and possibly PBO in BIOS when running. Those spikes were designed to function like that in Ryzens.

Here is AMD's explanation concerning the spikes you are seeing. From AMD Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ojte9/amd_responds_to_2700x_spikes_above_15v_vcore/

>> AMD responds to 2700x spikes above 1.5v+ Vcore <<

Just to be clear those changes in voltage are perfectly safe, the processor will use as much voltage as is needed to maintain the clock speeds.

0 Likes
digdeep
Adept I

Solution is to format disk and reinstall OS.

That helps 1 000 000%! I had the same problem, Ryzen Master increased EDC and CPU frequency and didnt return it to default, I almost did RMA but fresh Windows installation solved the problem. Ryzen Master sometimes wont set CPU back to stock settings, but Windows reinstallation solves that problem.

0 Likes