cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nightwarrior
Newcomer

High temperatures on an AMD Ryzen TR 2990wx

A couple of weeks ago I bought completely new parts for a PC build. I must state that this is the first build I did by myself. One of the first things I noticed is that my 2990wx CPU has very high temperature -  about 37-40C idle and 55ish when running a game. While doing an aida64 stress test the temperature goes even higher to 60+. Keep in mind that the maximum temperature of this CPU is 68C. I haven't done any overclocking. I made sure I have the latest version of BIOS. I tried changing the thermal paste but it seems like there is almost no difference at all. I am using a Cooler Master masterliquid ml360r rgb AIO which is specifically made for this CPU. The radiator of the AIO is positioned at the top of the case. All the fans are running of course and water can be heard running from the tubes so the AIO is definitely working. I have the latest drivers for everything. Could it be that my AIO is damaged in some way and not working properly? The only other thing that I can think of is the IHS not making good contact with the AIO, but honestly I screwed it well enough so really I don't think this is the issue. Another interesting thing is that running the CPU on legacy mode(gaming mode) seems to add +10C on the CPU die, so the temperatures are even higher- 68+ when running AIDA64 or 55ish when doing just normal things like working and browsing. I see that there are some very knowledgeable on this forum about this CPU. I must say that this is mt first AMD processor ever and I also I am not experienced with troubleshooting that much. I can also provide some screenshots in different scenarios if that would be helpful Also, forgot to mention that I am using Ryzen Master to check my temperatures.Thank you very much in advance for the help.

Specs:

OS: Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18362 N/A Build 18362

CaseThermaltake Level 20 GT RGB Plus E-ATX Full Tower

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX

MB: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha 

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 T Gaming X Trio

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB(2x16GB) 3000Mhz

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Masterliquid ml360 Rgb(TR edition)

Storage: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus TB

PSU: Cooler Master V1200, Full Modular 80+ Platinum

The thermal paste used at the moment is Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut. For spreading method I used 9 small dots throughout the heat spreader accompanied by 4 big dots in the middle where the chips are. 

0 Likes
0 Replies