cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

displaynerd
Adept I

High sustained voltage with PBO on Asrock Taichi

During games, my peak voltage is between 1.4 and 1.45v. (Speed 4.3 - 4.35ghz) My Asrock Taichi is on a -0.1v offset (the max it can go). I do see that the cores bounce back and forth between 4.35 and 2.2 ghz. I am still worried that this will cause damage over the long run as the max safe voltage is 1.35v (albeit for constant oc's). On p95 they're around 4-4.2v and on cinebench they're at 1.375v.

EDIT: Was looking at ryzen master and now am looking at hwinfo and cpu z they both say 1.4-1.45v so i changed it. Ryzen master must've not detected the offset. Also added more information

0 Likes
21 Replies
misterj
Exemplar

Re: High sustained voltage with PBO on Asrock Taichi

Sorry, displaynerd.  This whole post contains little information and makes little sense.

On p95 they're around 4-4.2v and on cinebench they're at 1.375v.

What does this mean?

as the max safe voltage is 1.35v

Where did this come from?  We do not even know what processor you have.  Please post ALL you specifications and we will see if we can help you.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
displaynerd
Adept I

Sorry for not explaining well enough. I have a watercooled (h80i v2) 2700x on an Asrock Taichi x470. I have 16gb trident z ram (F4-3600C15-8GTZ), 970 evo 500gb, RM750x psu, and a gtx 1070. It functions normally at stock voltages, but when I enable PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive), the voltages seem pretty high during games/multi core workloads. I set a -0.1v offset. However, the voltages still seem high. The voltage range seems hit 1.45v max but it is going above 1.35v a lot. I do see the cores bounce around a fair bit (likely PBO does not keep the cores at high voltages for long periods of time). In games my processor is 4.3ghz @ 1.4 - 1.45v. As I said, the individual cores bounce around and do not always stay at 1.45v but I am still worried a Vcore of 1.4 - 1.45v constantly will hurt the processor. However, if this is PBO just doing it's job, then I don't have anything to worry about as PBO usually boosts to high voltage for short periods of time.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

displaynerd, again, where did you see that the maximum safe voltage was 1.35Volts?  I am not an OCer, but in general, I think you need to stick to Ryzen Master (RM) or BIOS for OCing.  Using both is going to confused someone.  Please post a screenshot of RM - just drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  The absolute limits for PPT, TDC and EDC are in the BIOS and need to be changed there to allow the full range in RM.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

FYI: By enabling PBO you will void the Warranty on your AMD Ryzen CPU.

PBO is the same as Overclocking the CPU.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

elstasci, are you authorized (employed by or contracted to)  to speak for AMD?  Or is this just your opinion?  Where did this information come from?  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
displaynerd
Adept I

A few clarifications: PBO DOES void your warranty, my BIOS does not allow PPT, TDC, or EDC adjustments , and I use BIOS for OC'ing. I turned Precision Boost Overdrive on in my BIOS, which basically means the PPT, TDC, and EDC ceilings are much higher for Precision Boost to use and put a -0.1 Vcore offset (this actually improves performance in my case). I get fast speeds like 4.35ghz, but also high voltages, like 1.45v (1.5v with no offset). These voltages are not constant, however. Is this normal for PBO to do? That is my question. I have heard of chips degrading with voltages of 1.45v, but Precision Boost Overdrive does not keep cores boosted for that long, and damage only occurs when high voltage is used for long periods of time (according to AMD). So will my chip degrade is all I'm asking. (Note: I believe HWinfo shows the real voltages, where AMD Master does not. The two pictures are from the same screenshot as well so they are taken at the same time)2019-03-13 (1).png2019-03-13 (1) - Copy.png

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Yes, I am secretly AMD CEO and come here under an assumed Users name to keep an eye on you

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

displaynerd, thanks.  I have never seen any case that RM reported numbers that I knew were wrong.  I have seen HWmonitor reporting 5.1 GHz on a Ryzen that was clearly wrong.  Each needs to get conformable with the tools they use.  I use AIDA64 and trust its numbers as well as RM's, but since it is paid, I usually do not talk about it.  I cannot answer your questions about certain voltages/times degrading your processor and strongly encourage you to open an AMD Online Support ticket.  They are the only ones who can tell for sure.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

Thanks, elstaci.  Good to know.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes