Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

steveis2
Adept II

High idle temperature with R5 3600x and wraith Prism cooler

Hi,

I use a Wraith Prism cooler with my R5 3600x and assumed it would work reasonably well to keep temperatures not too high. However when at idle the temperature is about 53C on average and gets higher if you do anything.

Perhaps this is a normal situation but only having one CPU I'm not sure. So my question is what's a normal idle temperature for this CPU if I was using a wraith spire on the one hand or the wraith prism on the other?

Regards STeve

0 Likes
3 Replies
kurdtnz
Adept III

I used to run a 3600X with a wraith prism too. They do run pretty hot because of the aggressive nature of how these cpu's boost. What kind of temps are you getting under load/playing games etc? I would recommend a decent after market cooler, the ryzen stock coolers are best described as 'adequate' and I found the wraith prism really loud so swapped it out for a be quiet dark rock slim.

0 Likes

Hi,

I'm sorry for my late response but I've been trying things out for a while. Basically temperatures range from 55C doing pretty much nothing up to 62C when playing a game like World of Warhsips and into the mid to high 70s when playing more demanding games. I also have a ryzen 2600x which is also a 95W TDP CPU but its idle temperaure is about 41C. If I run prime 95 with the 3600x it peaks at 95C and then the CPU throtles back a bit.

I've thought about a Noctua NH-D9L which according to Noctua is suitable for a R5 3600x and at 110mm high would actually fit in the case that I have. At £50 though the Noctua would be a bit expensive. I've also contemplated a wraith max if I could find one, but perhaps that's not much better than a prism. On the other hand maybe the temperatures I'm getting are not too high for this CPU and it's just the way it is, so I should stop worrying

Regards Steve

0 Likes

Sometimes it is Windows.

I've had a 3000x, 1920x Threadripper, and now a 5950x.

Two out of the 3 new installs, Windows 10 defaulted to a Balanced Power setting.   Control Panel => Power => advanced

If you open up advanced settings for the balanced theme,  I found that 2 out of 3 times Windows defaulted to a processor minimum setting of 90%   !!!     I set this down to 15% and all was fine.

0 Likes