cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jcrm825
Adept I

High idle and load temperatures on Ryzen 5 3600 with a Cryorig H5 Cooler

I recently built a new rig with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT. I'm very happy with the performance of the system in gaming although I could not say the same with the temperatures. At idle, I'm getting between 45 to 50c with the power plan set to Power Saver. Setting it to Ryzen Balanced gets the temps between 50-60c. I also noticed that the voltages during idle are substantially different between the two power plans. In Ryzen Master, the Peak Core Voltage shows about 0.9V and Average Core Voltage shows 0.3-0.7V for the Power Saver plan. For the Ryzen Balanced on the other hand, the Peak Core Voltage is between 1.03-1.4V while the Average Core Voltage is almost the same. On load, I even reached as high as 92c on Prime95 with PBO enabled, 85c with it disabled. I got the same temperatures when I ran a Cinebench R15 benchmark. I've already enabled the Cool n' Quiet and other recommended settings mentioned in other forums (shown in picture).  I've also updated my BIOS and chipset drivers to the latest version (shown in specs below) and yet I'm still getting the same high temperatures despite having an aftermarket cooler. Are there any other steps I can take for this? Thanks

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: Cryorig H5 Universal

Motherboard: MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC

GPU: Sapphire Nitro RX 5700 XT

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16gb 3200MHz CL16

Storage: WD Black SN750 500gb, Seagate Skyhawk

BIOS Version: 7B85v1B (1.B0) Date: Nov 13, 2019

Windows 10 Education Build 18363.535 Version 1909

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

jcrm825, here are your specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

You are still OK at 92, but that does seems high.  Please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  RM is the only valid monitor for Ryzens.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

I ran the Cinebench R15 benchmark with PBO disabled and this is the temperature I got. I ran it again with PBO enabled and I got pretty much the same temp. It seems the CPU would only hit the 90s in Prime95 and maybe perhaps in AIDA64. May I ask if the clock speed is just right here? I was kind of expecting it to reach 4.0GHz but the score (1516 for this run) appears to match those posted across other forums anyway. Thanks!cinebench pbo off.png

0 Likes

Thanks, jcrm825.  Actually this looks quite good.  With PPT turning red (throttling) and EDC yellow (Almost throttling), speed is good for an all core test.  To test maximum boost (single core - 4200MHz), please run CB R20 Single Core test (file - 'Advance benchmark') and post screenshot of RM.  I have seen many CB shots, so do not need more.  You have 10C headroom, so you probably can run faster, but you will have to lift the limits on PPT and probably EDC.  This will be OCing and I suggest you do the single core test then decide if you want to OC.  The RM QRG instructs on raising the limits.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Here's a Cinebench R20 single core test run. I noticed that the clock speed was fluctuating between 2.5 to 4.0Ghz and did not hit 4.2 at all. Regarding the temperatures, I'm using the PC in a well-ventilated room but with relatively high ambient temperatures of about 28-30c as my air-conditioner is currently broken. Will it make a big difference to my idle and load temps if the ambient temp is in the lower 20s? Thanks. cinebench r20 single core test.png

0 Likes

Thanks, jcrm825.  If the ambient goes up 10C, then the CPU temperature will go up 10C - simple direct addition.  I think your temperatures are fine.  Please use CPU-Z MB tab and post your BIOS/AGESA versions.  Perhaps you do not have the AGESA with the Boost changes.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

Here's my BIOS/AGESA version in CPU-Z. I used the most recent BIOS update file posted on the MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC support page. Thanks.

bios version cpu-z.PNG

0 Likes