cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sergius_maximus
Journeyman III

High CPU temp on idile(Ryzen 7 2700X)/can't turn off Precision Boost Overdrive

Hi. I just bought my very very first AMD processor and i am having some issues with it. My PC floats around 50 degrees Celsius on idle and in bios. All my previous Intel CPUs always were in 20-30 degrees range on idle/bios setting. So i tried to figure out whats going on. I took out prism, wiped off all thermal paste, reapplied thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 via pea method), no changes, same 50 degrees result. So i ruled out thermal paste problems and looked further. I downloaded AMD Ryzen Master and saw that my control mode is set to: Precision Boost Overdrive. I tried to change settings to auto through Master but nothing happened. I did some google search and found out that i need to disable windows "turn on fast start up". I did that, now when i make changes Master asks me to reboot and everything is dandy. With Control Mode set to Auto temps drop by about 10 degrees to 30-40 degree range. However when i Turn off my pc, all settings reset and i am back to Precision Boost Over Drive being on by default. Back to the drawing board, i did some research online and found out that i could disable Precision Boost Overdrive in BIOS. So i went to BIOS>Advanced>AMD CBS>NBIO Common Options where there should be "Precision Boost Overdrive Configuration" except it's isn't there. I am kind of in the dead-end here and asking for advice.Thanks in advance!

PC: BIOS is updated to latest version of Version 4207 - 2018/12/17

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Build:

Monitor: Acer XB270HU, 27'', 144 Hz, G-SYNC, LCD IPS Monitor

PC Case: Fractal Design Define R5, ATX Midtower Computer Case

PSU: CORSAIR AX760, 760W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM,Fully Modular, Power Supply

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti HYBRID GAMING

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)

CPU Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming

RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 (CMD16GX4M2B3200C16 )

SSD/HHD: 1) SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB NVMe, 2) Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM004, 4TB, 5400 RPM, 256MB Cache, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 3.5" 3)HGST Ultrastar 7K4000,3TB, 7200 RPM, 64MB Cache, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 3.5"

Wi-Fi: ASUS PCE-AC66, Wireless Adapter

0 Likes
1 Solution

Downloaded Asus Support BIOS Manual for your Motherboard. It has a huge amount of CPU/APU Settings. BUT I think I found something similar to PBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING | Gaming Motherboard | ASUS USA .

See if this is similar to PBO in your BIOS:

I attached the Asus BIOS Manual to this post so that you can download it and see if you find other settings that will help your problem. This BIOS may not look exactly your yours but should have most of the information.

By the way, Asus just updated the motherboard's CHIP SET (1/23/2019) and SATA Driver (1/08/2019) plus the latest BIOS Version is 4207 (12/17/2018)

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Perfectly normal. Ryzen processors have a thermal max of >90*C, so unless your real world load temperatures approach that (gaming, video encoding, Cinebench, etc..., not Prime95 power virus) then there's not a problem.

0 Likes
warsun
Challenger

I am gonna guess spyware bro.It am like totally gonna blame it on that. There are a lot of things that jack up the temps. I normally use CCleaner to get right into finding out what runs at startup. Finding stuff that should not run an disabling it.Try getting an old version of CCleaner on filehippo.com. Check there. Once you find it you.If you feel like it could be something else. Check up on Bleepingcomputer.com an they have something useful to tracking down temperature releases. They are also the ones who introduced me to .ADWcleaner. It tracks down any spyware an actually removes it.

Note though. Spyware,an Trojans overwrite software. So it may want to just format. But before doing anything like that. There are dirty installs that come from installing software. You should only see Microsoft C++ Installs in your Turn Windows Features on or off. If you see this in View installed updates. You're gonna have a bad time.

From experience!!!! I know that they in fact corrupt your system. Always check to make sure your system restore is still working.When some updates come in. They disable your system restore. This can make it impossible to fix whatever issue you had.

0 Likes
sergius_maximus
Journeyman III

Thanks for the replies guys!

@Black_zion. I am not panicking about the temps, but i still want to have control over my CPU whether i want to turn off/on CPU boost feature which impact temps.

@warsun. I can pretty safely rule out malware problems. The PC is brand new build. During windows installation i disconnected all my SATA drives, so only NVMe(brand new) was in the system. Windows is legit,ISO downloaded from official Microsoft website. The first program i installed was Bitdefender antivirus, and i have not visited any potentially risky websites so far.

Basically all i want is turn off Precision Boost Overdrive by default (preferably in BIOS) because it gives me measurable drop in CPU temps. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes

PBO is automatic based on the temperature. Once it passes a certain threshold, it turns off.

0 Likes

Sure i understand. What i mean is this. When i go to AMD Ryzen Master program and choose "Game Mode"  where PBO is set to "Auto", Temps drop immediately when switching from "Precision Boost Overdrive" on by default. I guess i want it to stay in "Game Mode" profile whith PBO on "auto" instead of ON. Trouble is when i turn off my PC, all AMD Ryzen Master settings reset and go back to defaults. That's why i went to BIOS to fix that, except my BIOS doesn't have an option to control PBO (unless i am missing something?).

0 Likes

Windows 1809 has very strong built in defences.

0 Likes
sergius_maximus
Journeyman III

Forgot to ask. Is it true that the temps i see for CPU are 10 degrees higher than they actually are? I've read it a few times on forums in regards to AMD processors, people say its called "10 degree offset" to trick fans or something like that.

0 Likes
jigzaw
Elite

Please check your power options. If it set to Workstation or Ryzen Balanced, switched to just default Balanced if you are concerned about the temp and using  your system on light workload.

0 Likes
sergius_maximus
Journeyman III

Update: after installing custom CPU cooling system (Corsair H90), temps dropped by about 10 degrees to 30-40 degrees range, which is an acceptable level. I still would like to know how to permanently switch control mode from "PBO" to "Auto" without having to manually do it myself through Ryzen Master every time my PC powers on.

0 Likes

Downloaded Asus Support BIOS Manual for your Motherboard. It has a huge amount of CPU/APU Settings. BUT I think I found something similar to PBO: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING | Gaming Motherboard | ASUS USA .

See if this is similar to PBO in your BIOS:

I attached the Asus BIOS Manual to this post so that you can download it and see if you find other settings that will help your problem. This BIOS may not look exactly your yours but should have most of the information.

By the way, Asus just updated the motherboard's CHIP SET (1/23/2019) and SATA Driver (1/08/2019) plus the latest BIOS Version is 4207 (12/17/2018)

I apologize for late response. It seems like Elstaci's suggestion did the trick. I went to BIOS and set CPB Mode to disabled and Vola.

The funny things is, it took me a while to figure out that it worked, because AMD Ryzen Master still shows "PBO" mode on by default everytime PC is powered on (unless i manually set to Auto every time). But at closer inspection i realized that with CPB mode off CPU voltage dropped to 1.1V instead of i believe 1.43V with it on, CPU speed is now at 3700MHz across all 8 cores, instead of 4300MHz, and temps are down to 25 Degrees Celsius, instead of 30-40 with CPB On.

Thanks again to everyone who bothered to help, i really appreciate it.

0 Likes

You must be in a very cold room or have a very powerful CPU Cooler to keep a Ryzen below 30c.

Glad that suggestion SEEMED to have fixed your issue.

If my suggestion was the one the fixed the problem could you mark my comment as "Correct" that way other Users will know if they have a similar issue. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hehe, pictures don't lie

Noob question, how do i mark an answer as a correct one? I am new to forums.

0 Likes

AMD changed the format here at the Forums very recently. But check under "Actions" or at the Menu bar and see if you see anything that says "Correct" on the comment that fixed your issue. 

If not, it is no big deal. Just glad I was able to assist you in finding a fix for your problem.

Have a nice day!

0 Likes

I don't see such option anywhere, oh well. Thanks again for your help, and have a good day too!

0 Likes