Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

i-kastell
Adept I

Help with cpu FX-8350 overheating

Hello there,

I've started lately to get some annoying problem with my computer, and I highly suspect my processor to be the cause.

While playing, I started to have freezes of two sorts : either a few minutes long freeze, or a permanent one. I use Open Hardware Monitor to watch the cpu and gpu heat, and I noticed my cpu was reaching over 60°C, sometimes up to 85°C.

I tried to increase the cpu fan speed, but to no avail : despite trying to modify it through SpeedFan or the BIOS (MS-7693), it refuses to change : it stagnates most of the time at 1000 rpm, with weird spikes at 9 or 10K rpm.

I tried another cpu fan ( I verified the compatibility beforehand ) but nothing changed.

As of today, my cpu immediately reach 70°C or more when freshly booted, and can reach 50 ~ 60°C with only an internet page opened.

I have this setup since 2015, so I know I should expect my components to die one day or another, but I have no idea about what is failing here : is it the CPU ? the cpu fan ? anything else ?

Here is my config :

MSI 970 Gaming (MS-7693)

AMD FX-8350 8-Core

Artic Freezer Xtreme CPU Cooler

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

KINGSTON SHSSS37A : 240 Go

SATA3 SSD : 480 Go

G RAM (DDR3) : 4x4 Go

I've always managed to resolve my problems on my own before, but I've ran out of options and need help from much more talented persons than I am.

Thank you very much in advance !

1 Solution

First your FX8350 Maximum Operating Temperature is 61C. Which means once it starts reaching that temperature or surpasses it, The processor automatically starts to throttle to keep the temps at or below 61C.

The FX8350 is a high wattage Processor (125 Watts TDP)  which needs a CPU Cooler of a least 150 Watts TDP

At 85C you processor should have shut the computer down before being damaged.

I had a similar issue with my FX8350. I had be using a powerful old Stock CPU Cooler (6 years old) when I noticed my computer kept shutting down while running a SYSTEM BACKUP. Temperatures would go into the high 70s.

Replace the Thermal Paste on the CPU Cooler which helps a little but it continued to overheat under heavy stress. Decided to replace the old Stock CPU Cooler with a double Fan Cooler Master Hyper-X EVO.

No more overheating, no matter how much load or stress I put on it. The highest Temps I get is 59C.

Most likely your Stock Cooler is not removing the heat as well as it should unless you haven't replaced the Thermal Paste in more then 1-3 years and you haven't cleaned the Heat Fins and Fan of the CPU Cooler.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

First your FX8350 Maximum Operating Temperature is 61C. Which means once it starts reaching that temperature or surpasses it, The processor automatically starts to throttle to keep the temps at or below 61C.

The FX8350 is a high wattage Processor (125 Watts TDP)  which needs a CPU Cooler of a least 150 Watts TDP

At 85C you processor should have shut the computer down before being damaged.

I had a similar issue with my FX8350. I had be using a powerful old Stock CPU Cooler (6 years old) when I noticed my computer kept shutting down while running a SYSTEM BACKUP. Temperatures would go into the high 70s.

Replace the Thermal Paste on the CPU Cooler which helps a little but it continued to overheat under heavy stress. Decided to replace the old Stock CPU Cooler with a double Fan Cooler Master Hyper-X EVO.

No more overheating, no matter how much load or stress I put on it. The highest Temps I get is 59C.

Most likely your Stock Cooler is not removing the heat as well as it should unless you haven't replaced the Thermal Paste in more then 1-3 years and you haven't cleaned the Heat Fins and Fan of the CPU Cooler.

I did replace the thermal paste before everything else, when the cpu started to get overheated; though it didn't change much. I checked the power consumption of my cooler on the manufacturer's website, it's 2.64W ... I guess I don't have any other choice but to buy a new one.

I'll try to get a new one as soon I as can, and post here if it's successful.

Thank you very much for your help !

EDIT: I guess I got confused with your term watts TDP. I thought it was about the power consumption, but it seems it's not when I checked about the cpu cooler you mentionned. Could you elaborate on this TDP ? I didn't see it mentionned on any manufacturer website in the specs, so I don't know how I should select a cooler on this criteria. Thank you !

0 Likes

This is the definition of TDP concerning a Processor:

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU or system on a chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

Thermal design power - Wikipedia

The amount of heat generated by FX8350 is 125 watts in relationship to a CPU Cooler . So you need a CPU Cooler that can dissipate at least 150 Watts of heat from a processor.

TDP doesn't concern how much wattage a Processor uses while running a program or under stress or load. A processor can easily go use and go past the TDP wattage while running an App or under load or stress.

In the past most manufacturers did seem to include the TDP of the CPU Cooler. But I have this Cooler Master Chart, as an example only, which shows all their CPU Coolers with TDP ratings. But later on they revised the same chart and removed all the TDP ratings. Why I don't know. But here is, at least, Cooler Master Chart which is probably Out-Dated by now which will give you a general overview of TDP concerning the various Cooler Master CPU Coolers:

NOTE: I made a mistake with the Make & Model of Cooler Master I had purchased and installed for my FX8350. It is a:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO not Hyper-X EVO. Sorry about the confusion.

Well, I went to purchase a new cpu cooler. I went for the Master Cooler 212 as you recommended, and indeed it works just fine now. The cpu still rises very occasionally above 60°C, but overall my pc didn't shut down at all today while under heavy load.

Thank you very much for your help and insight, because thanks to you I've learned new things !

Have a good day !

Glad to hear it maintains your processor from overheating.

You can always add a inexpensive second fan to the Hyper 212 in a Push Pull configuration. This will help a little bit more to keep the processor cooler plus helps increase Air flow pressure inside your computer case with your GPU fans and case fans.

0 Likes

i loved it , thanks for the solution,

raj

0 Likes

Sir it is against AMD Rules to advertise here at the Forum.

amdmatt‌ myfiosgateway has a link above that is an advertisement