cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Help Just upgraded from Ryzen 1600 to 3700X and I'm stuck in a boot loop

I'd just grab a roughly $60 3200mhz RAM kit from any manufacture on the QVL, if that makes you feel better. But the QVL is only a list of "tested" modules not a complete list. Kingston, Crucial, Gskill all have a compatibility checker. All of those maker's should work as well especially in a 2 x 8GB config at CL16. That's very common speed.

While it does sound like a RAM issue, that board is not the best for that CPU. I saw an Asus micro ATX 550B on Newegg for $59.99 at a glance. BIOS update or not, you're forcing a hefty CPU onto a known incompatible chipset. Weigh it out, board, RAM or both to be sure but I think the B350 is just not up to the task. The VRM might not be able to properly deliver the right amount of juice to the CPU in Amps under load. I mean at roughly $120 for 3200 RAM and an inexpensive mobo, your going to have a working PC for sure instead of trying to force a square peg through a round hole. This isn't quite the same as updating the BIOS on an X570 to run a 5000 series CPU or an earlier B450 to run a 3000 series. You're going way back to a Zen board and trying to make it work with a CPU at least 5 years newer.

PSU is ok at the level you're at. Checking on a PSU calculator you need about a 378W but like I said a minimum 650W Bronze is best to avoid issues and give plenty of "headroom". If anything the board cannot supply the amperage under load to the CPU more than the RAM speed at the point you're at. Even doing just the board would most likely fix the issue. 2400 RAM works with Ryzen's and it's not going to lag your mouse. Your benchmark scores and FPS will be less is about it. I've run my Ryzen 3600x at 2400 for testing purposes and nothing bad happened but benchmarks being low.

"It worked before you broke it!"
elstaci
MVP

@mackbolan777 

I agree about the CPU and the motherboard's VRM capacities to run that processor under stress or heavy loads.

I just recently upgraded my computer to a Ryzen Motherboard. I am using a Asus Gaming X570 Pro wifi (release date Sept,2020). According to reviews this board is fine for any Rzyens with 12 cores or less even if moderately overclocked. I am using a Ryzen 7 3700X at stock settings.  But for any Ryzens above 12 cores the Motherboard's VRM may have problems keeping up with the processor especially if Overclocked. Even though the Asus CPU Support lists Ryzens with over 12 cores as being compatible.

Also as you mentioned the best performance for RAM speed and sweet spot for the Ryzen 2xxx is 3200 Mhz while the sweet spot for the Ryzen 3xxx is 3600 Mhz.

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Yep, don't go down my road of trying the "Unicorn" of 3733/1866, just never going to find silicon that good, lol. I made it for a few months than got errors/crashes. CL16 3600/1800 on a preferred B550 minimum (some B450's work, MSI Tomahawk), is the best performance you can get being stable as a rock. CL14 3200/1600 is recommended and the max speed officially supported by AMD but 99.9% will easily run the 3600/1800 config. CL 16 is just the most common latency that is under $100 for 16GB. CL 18 works too.

Alcohero
Adept I

I've just tried another stick of ram, G.Skill F4-3000C16-8GISB, same thing happened.

Another thing came into my mind, first time when it booted up, it came to the Windows lock screen, then screen appeared black for 1-2 seconds, then I entered password and hit enter, started logging in, black screen appeared again, and then it crashed (I don't really remember, but blue screen might have popped up for like a 1/10 of a second, or should I rather say flashed). Do you think this has something to do with it not being able to boot?

elstaci
MVP

I would open a Asus Chat session and see what they say. 

From past experience with Asus Chat they will recommend to replace the motherboard but maybe they may suggest which BIOS is best for your processor for that motherboard or what settings might be best.

If you did a Clean Windows installation without installing any 3rd party Apps and the same thing occurs in which Windows will crash before loading into the Desktop or immediately after loading into Windows  Desktop.

That is a strong indication that it is probably hardware issue rather than software. Could be defective or incompatible hardware.

I would disconnect everything from your motherboard except your mouse/Keyboard, PSU, Monitor, GPU, CPU, Windows Drive and one stick of RAM.

This will narrow down the amount of hardware to check. Also does your motherboard have any Trouble BEEPS or LEDs lit after booting up?

0 Kudos
mackbolan777
Forerunner

I would say so. But the code it gave is gone now. You probably are going to wind up either going back to the old CPU or upgrade the board. A few of us agree that your board probably can't push enough power to the CPU under any load. You could try setting the EDC and such to "motherboard limit" under "advanced", see if that sends enough power. It's not the Vcore, it's the power draw at the socket. Because you're using a B350, which is totally unheard of supporting any Ryzen 3000, I have doubts as to that VRM being able to power a 3700X. The BIOS is probably downclocking, throttling to try to support that CPU. Like I said, square peg, round hole...

Alcohero
Adept I

I don't have anything else connected other than what you listed. Nothing is beeping or indicating errors, just 1 beep when I turn on the PC. I wanted to open a chat session with Asus, but it says it's not supported in my country, so I've just sent them an email.

Alcohero
Adept I

I wouldn't say it's unheard of. People are running Ryzen 3000 without any problems, for the most part. Here's an example of it: https://youtu.be/oRaZ2Txv13M

The error code that I get when I can actually see the bsod is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.

elstaci
MVP

If it beeps once then it is passing POST and everything checks out. So it could be something that isn't compatible with your motherboard.

Try installing a different GPU card and see if it boots up without issues into Windows.

I just recently upgraded my PC to a Ryzen motherboard. It was hell since I had no Video Output and it wouldn't boot into BIOS. I ended up returning two expensive Asus Motherboard plus my CPU and RAM.

Finally I was able to get it to boot up. All 3 motherboards had the same VGA & BOOT trouble LED lit. The first Motherboard was definitely DOA but the second probably was good.

Finally I took my GTX 1070 to a Computer Repair shop that proved my GPU card was good. Then when i purchased my 3rd Asus Motherboard I took the entire Tower to the same Computer repair shop and guess what. It booted up without any problems.

While at home I kept getting a VGA Trouble LED light on all the time. Turned out to be my Monitor settings were incompatible with the GPU's output for this motherboard. So I reset my Monitor Settings to Factory Reset and bam I had video during POST and not Trouble LED stayed on.

Could also be your Windows HDD/SSD may not be compatible with your motherboard. Try running Windows from a different drive like a SATA HDD drive and see if Windows boot up without issues.

Otherwise I am out of suggestions.

mackbolan777
Forerunner

That fault is a memory code, try changing RAM if you want. Better yet, try just one stick. Maybe one went south. Makes ure the RAM is in A2/B2 if you have 4 slots. 2nd and 4th away from the CPU.

To compare that board in the video to your is apples to oranges as far as quality goes. It's one of AsRocks not too shabby boards. Look at the heatsink for the VRM to southbridge on that! Plus 8 pin power, clearly a PCB they had made for the future chipsets.