Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Nut420
Journeyman III

Help! Is my 5900X genuine?

Hey all,

I bought a 5900x CPU recently, admittedly on an online retailer that I've never heard of, and I received a Chinese box version. The QR scan passed OK, the codes all align and the seals look legit, changing color/pattern when I tilt left and right, and also the holographic 'valid' strip on the side, as per the advice on AMDs authentication page detailing this. Is it possible to fake this? There is also a small triangle on the front bottom left corner of the CPU and a bigger one on the same corner on the other side as it should be. Everything looks okay, however I have noticed that the top 'AMD Ryzen 9 5900x' on the CPU front plate is slightly longer than every image of a 5900x I've seen. Normally the 'X' aligns with the 'E' on the large 'RYZEN' below, but this one doesn't. Is this an official Chinese 5900x maybe or a fake? Can you spoof a CPU nowadays to show something different in CPU-Z or the bios? I have attached some images of the box and CPU but have blacked out some parts for obvious security reasons. Also, would this mean that the 3 year warranty would not be valid in the UK? I know I could just test it but I don't want to until I know it's okay. Thanks.

20210402_150707.jpgHere the X goes further than the 'E' belowHere the X goes further than the 'E' below20210402_152500.jpg

0 Likes
5 Replies
Nekela
Adept III

Everything appears to be correct, I am not sure about the warranty though as I believe that AMD will only warranty products for the original purchaser from an authorized retailer.

0 Likes

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Everything does appear to be correct as far as the labels and seals go including the QR scan authentication. However, the text alignment on the front plate doesn't appear correct. So I don't really know what to make of it? I'm considering just returning it, or sell it on due to lack of warranty (if it is legit). You can see below what I mean:

This is how every single image of a 5900x I can find appearsThis is how every single image of a 5900x I can find appearsThis is my Chinese 5900xThis is my Chinese 5900x

0 Likes

You can always put it in the motherboard and see what comes up in bios. But with everything else checking out just fine I would be surprised if it were counterfeit... that is far more work than typically would go in to a knock-off 

0 Likes

Most likely they sent you a 5900X made for the Asian market rather than for the European or North American Markets.

Everything looks legitimate including all the security features for the AMD Retail box.

The only way that could be a fake is if someone at the actual factory where the processor is boxed and sealed switched processors before being sealed.

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request - Warranty (Official AMD SUPPORT) and have them check the Serial Number and Model number from the Retail Box and Processor's lid and see if it is authentic from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Note: Be sure to upload all the images you posted in this thread.

Since that seems to be an authentic AMD Retail Box it should have a 3 year Warranty on it unless it was purchased first by someone else (Used) and sold to you even if they didn't open the box. Then the AMD Warranty would be voided since the Warranty only covers the Original Owner or Purchaser.

0 Likes

Hi! I literally have the same looking cpu as you that I bought from ebay however it didn't arrive in a box. Everything looks legit but you never know... I don't want to put it in my mobo and **bleep**ing it up.

Did you manage to use it in the end or just returned it?

j2tlPgq.jpeg

0 Likes