cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JustBuildIt
Adept I

Help ID AMD Ryzen 7 3700x Defective Chip??

Somebody HELP Please!! ! I tried the contact form and got server side error....REALLY??? Posted on the facebook page and messenger and was ignored.

I brought an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x from Best Buy. It looks different than the others I've seen. The chip has no cutout square in the middle. It does not flush into any motherboards. Is this a production defect or did best buy sell me a counterfeit? The 2 pictures are the front and back of the processor. The last one is what all the other 3700x  looks like that I've looked at online.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Send it back to BestBuy. AMD won't help this. It's a AM3+ CPU (FX8350?) or something not a Ryzen. Not on the bottom anyway. Someone switched the lids on the die. I can see that from the top view. Messed up. Besides it has bent pins too, but that's not the issue.

"It worked before you broke it!"

View solution in original post

Shame on them! But they're not experts and apparently someone ripped them off by swapping lids. I had to be sure, so I searched on Ebay for every Ryzen and than the 939's finally ID'd it as an FX series or AM3+.  Shows how well they look at returns, very scary. Now if it was indeed a good say FX 8350-70, and you could prove it, well they sell for a good buck still! lmao! Just a joke, still not even close to what a 3700X costs. Unless I'm buying used, I always want one that comes in a sealed box.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Send it back to BestBuy. AMD won't help this. It's a AM3+ CPU (FX8350?) or something not a Ryzen. Not on the bottom anyway. Someone switched the lids on the die. I can see that from the top view. Messed up. Besides it has bent pins too, but that's not the issue.

Thank you for your prompt  and detailed response! I was not planning on returning to AMD but back to best buy. I just wanted some validation (which you gave me) that this is some type of defective or some type of switching, counterfeit job going on.  

Thing is best buy was not my choice of store but it was not in stock and I would have to wait to get it from my choice of merchant. Since I did not want to wait, I reluctantly got it from best buy and supposedly it was the last one. Based on the sticker they had on the box, I think they may have knowingly sold me an open box item. 

Now I have to wait anyway because they are out of stock. 

Shame on them! But they're not experts and apparently someone ripped them off by swapping lids. I had to be sure, so I searched on Ebay for every Ryzen and than the 939's finally ID'd it as an FX series or AM3+.  Shows how well they look at returns, very scary. Now if it was indeed a good say FX 8350-70, and you could prove it, well they sell for a good buck still! lmao! Just a joke, still not even close to what a 3700X costs. Unless I'm buying used, I always want one that comes in a sealed box.

@mackbolan777 wrote:

Thank you, much appreciated! I would not have even been able to trace it that far. 

This is disgraceful. They do have shady practices and their reps never seem knowledgeable.  I cannot  even get hold of anyone at best buy. Never again!!! Had bad experience from them in the past and  I've finally learned my lesson this time. I am just going to get a refund rather than an exchange as I don't want anything to do with them again. I should have waited for Amazon, but now I missed the sale.  

0 Likes

Best buy sent you an OEM/TRAY Ryzen 7 3700X which is not covered by AMD Warranty but by Best Buy or the OEM.

The Image shows the processor's model number and according to CPU World this is a OEM/TRAY processor and not a Retail Box processor that has a 3 year Warranty on it by AMD:

Screenshot 2020-11-26 174852.png

If this would have been an Official AMD Retail Box Processor with a AMD Warranty of 3 years the Model number should have been 100-100000071BOX plus it would have included a Wraith CPU Cooler.

You processor is showing 100-00000071 which is not a Retail Processor.

I would send it back to Best Buy and ask why they sent you an OEM Processor and not a Retail Processor that is warranted by AMD.

Note: The above Model number I inputted for a Retail Ryzen 7 3700X is from my own Retail Box which I purchased at Amazon.com. You noticed it is the same as CPU World Retail Model number ending in BOX.

EDIT: If you input that model number at AMD Warranty it will come back as an error since it is not covered by AMD but by the OEM who purchased those processors from AMD directly. They are the ones who covers their processors with Warranty not AMD.

Reread your original post and realized what @mackbolan777  saying is true. It is a fake processor that someone removed the OEM/Tray lid from a Ryzen 7 3700X and glued it on to a Non-Ryzen processor.

I find it hard to believe that Best Buy would send you a fake processor unless someone working at Best Buy shipping department switched the processor before shipping out with the fake one and kept the good one for himself.

Also in the photo you can see the glue has oozed out when they replace the lid. I don't believe you will see that in a new Processor from AMD.

I think OP wanted an OEM tray and was aware of the lacking warranty to save cost. Still no excuse for BestBuy. I thought they had GeekSquad check electronic returns?

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 

OEM/TRAY processors are not sold in Retail stores. Those processors are sold in bulk to OEM manufacturers (Dell, Hp,Asus, MSI, etc)  or Vendors who are responsible for the Warranty of the processors and not AMD.

Personally my opinion is the Geek Squad is a rip off.   I don't believe they hire or train their Techs very well.

0 Likes

I think he bought it online. Most BestBuy stores do not sell "hard parts" aside from GPU's, RAM, and HDD/SSD's in the stores. At least not in PA.

I wouldn't doubt it either that the OP purchased the processor Online. 

Somewhere that Processor got switched, Either by the distributor of AMD processors at point of origin or when it arrived at Best Buy warehouse to be shipped out.

Or it was a return placed back in stock by someone that doesn't know didly. Either way, are "kudo's" fattening? I'm getting a lot today, feeling bloated, lol.

@mackbolan777 wrote:

I think OP wanted an OEM tray and was aware of the lacking warranty to save cost. Still no excuse for BestBuy. I thought they had GeekSquad check electronic returns?

No, I was not aware of any lack of warranty or OEM tray.  Would never purchase without warranty. I am a novice, and all I knew was that I was buying a regular retail item that was on a black friday sale. Amazon had just sold out and would have me waiting and rather than wait I took this route to my misery.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

Best buy sent you an OEM/TRAY Ryzen 7 3700X which is not covered by AMD Warranty but by Best Buy or the OEM.

The Image shows the processor's model number and according to CPU World this is a OEM/TRAY processor and not a Retail Box processor that has a 3 year Warranty on it by AMD:

If this would have been an Official AMD Retail Box Processor with a AMD Warranty of 3 years the Model number should have been 100-100000071BOX plus it would have included a Wraith CPU Cooler.

You processor is showing 100-00000071 which is not a Retail Processor.

I would send it back to Best Buy and ask why they sent you an OEM Processor and not a Retail Processor that is warranted by AMD.

Note: The above Model number I inputted for a Retail Ryzen 7 3700X is from my own Retail Box which I purchased at Amazon.com. You noticed it is the same as CPU World Retail Model number ending in BOX.

EDIT: If you input that model number at AMD Warranty it will come back as an error since it is not covered by AMD but by the OEM who purchased those processors from AMD directly. They are the ones who covers their processors with Warranty not AMD.

Reread your original post and realized what @mackbolan777  saying is true. It is a fake processor that someone removed the OEM/Tray lid from a Ryzen 7 3700X and glued it on to a Non-Ryzen processor.

I find it hard to believe that Best Buy would send you a fake processor unless someone working at Best Buy shipping department switched the processor before shipping out with the fake one and kept the good one for himself.

Also in the photo you can see the glue has oozed out when they replace the lid. I don't believe you will see that in a new Processor from AMD.

Thank you! This is ridiculous that you just can't trust what you're buying is what you'll get. Now I have to learn to check model numbers and all of this, something I as a novice never thought of before.  

I ordered online and picked it up at the store. It was the last one in the store and right after that they were out of stock.  Really wished I've waited for Amazon.

This probably wasn't Best Buy's fault if the processor came in a official AMD Retail box and got switched from one of Best Buy's Distributors before being shipped or by a dishonest Best Buy employee. 

If the AMD Retail box came without being officially sealed that probably is a good indication someone opened the box and removed the original processor. 

God knows it could have been switched in Asia where it was manufactured.

My AMD Retail Box came sealed with a white label sticker from Amazon and my G-Skill RAM Memory and Asus Motherboard came sealed with a clear oval plastic tape as an example.

I do the same thing you do by ordering Online and then picking the part up at my local Store. Safer and more secure than having an expensive part shipped to your home and the delivery person leaves the package in front of your door where anyone can steal it before you have a chance to check to see if it was delivered yet.

@elstaci wrote:

This probably wasn't Best Buy's fault if the processor came in a official AMD Retail box and got switched from one of Best Buy's Distributors before being shipped or by a dishonest Best Buy employee. 

If the AMD Retail box came without being officially sealed that probably is a good indication someone opened the box and removed the original processor. 

God knows it could have been switched in Asia where it was manufactured.

My AMD Retail Box came sealed with a clear oval plastic tape from Amazon so did my G-Skill RAM Memory and Asus Motherboard as an example.

I do the same thing you do by ordering Online and then picking the part up at my local Store. Safer and more secure than having an expensive part shipped to your home and the delivery person leaves the package in front of your door where anyone can steal it before you have a chance to check to see if it was delivered yet.

Well this is what the box looks like with a white sticker as the seal. Upon further investigation this box was indeed opened. If you look closely, you'll see the red order pickup sticker on the side was put on with the lid of the box opened. Why open a box to put a sticker on the side of it.  It was an open box being passed as new or someone at best Buy tried to pull a scam. 

Actually I am usually available for delivery. Hate going into stores. But just really needed this for a new build to replace an ancient and slow computer. 

If you noticed on the AMD box where it was officially sealed it has the correct Part number for the processor plus it has the Processor Serial Number on it.

Part Number: 100-100000071BOX

Serial Number: 9JE7137U00422

I just inspected the lid on the fake processor you uploaded and it has the same Serial Number as the Label on the Box  but it instead of having a Retail Part number it has a OEM/TRAY Part number:

So I really don't understand why it doesn't show the Retail Part Number of 100-100000071BOX if it has a Retail Serial Number on it.

Maybe @Ray_AMD  or @Matt_AMD  can verify or trace that Serial Number and see if anyone has used it already before or see if it shows it has an Owner.

Did you rip open the seal on the box or was the AMD processor box sealed when you got it?

You shouldn't have any problems either replacing the Processor for a new one or getting a refund from Best Buy. Just keep all those photos you have of the processor and the box when you picked it up as proof plus your Best Buy receipt.

EDIT: You can also open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET to have them check that Serial Number for you: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

By the way upload all the photos from this thread if you should open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket. Just let them know you are planning on getting the processor either replaced or refund from Best Buy. Just want to know if anyone else has had this processor before. You can use that information as Proof that Best Buy gave you a fake or wrong or Used processor before you even opened the box.

0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

If you noticed on the AMD box where it was officially sealed it has the correct Part number for the processor plus it has the Processor Serial Number on it.

Part Number: 100-100000071BOX

Serial Number: 9JE7137U00422

I just inspected the lid on the fake processor you uploaded and it has the same Serial Number as the Label on the Box  but it instead of having a Retail Part number it has a OEM/TRAY Part number:

So I really don't understand why it doesn't show the Retail Part Number of 100-100000071BOX if it has a Retail Serial Number on it.

Maybe @Ray_AMD  or @Matt_AMD  can verify or trace that Serial Number and see if anyone has used it already before or see if it shows it has an Owner.

Did you rip open the seal on the box or was the AMD processor box sealed when you got it?

You shouldn't have any problems either replacing the Processor for a new one or getting a refund from Best Buy. Just keep all those photos you have of the processor and the box when you picked it up as proof plus your Best Buy receipt.

EDIT: You can also open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET to have them check that Serial Number for you: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

By the way upload all the photos from this thread if you should open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket. Just let them know you are planning on getting the processor either replaced or refund from Best Buy. Just want to know if anyone else has had this processor before. You can use that information as Proof that Best Buy gave you a fake or wrong or Used processor before you even opened the box.

Thank you. The box was sealed when I got it, so I opened the seal. It really should not be this hard to purchase a product and get what you paid for.  I'm just going to return it and get a refund as I can't trust them to give me a REAL processor. Matter fact can't trust this store at all.

They have done shady things in the past like selling products they do not have and giving fake delivery dates, wasting time waiting for a delivery when it was not coming. Not updating that they did not have it and having me wait for weeks for it. This was only a few months ago.  This is the 2nd purchase from them this year of unrelated items and they got me both times. And I should have never went back to them after the 1st. I didn't think a processor in a box would be an issue though.