cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Zshahguitar
Adept I

Having a rough time with RMA for 5800X3D - Being sent wrong item?

I submitted an RMA request for a brand non functioning 5800X3D I bought from a retailer 

Jan 16th-I get RMA approval, and am sent a FedEx prepaid label to send the package. I drop it off at FedEx the same day

Jan 23rd - I get an email saying they receive my item, and it's going to be inspected. A few hours later, I check the website and my inspection status says "Passed"

Jan 26th (today) - I get an email with tracking confirmation of my item being shipped. However, I notice a huge issue. The email says "OPN for your replacement item is 100-100000061WOF". I Google that number, and it seems to be a 5900X. The AMD warranty services page shows the same thing. I'm concerned that maybe they are out of 5800X3D chips and thought a 5900x would be an upgrade, but for my use, it's a downgrade.

I'll be very sad if they can't send me a 5800X3D right away. I really don't want to have to wait so long since this whole dead chip has prevented me from building my system. All my other parts are waiting for that cpu  

0 Likes
1 Solution
Zshahguitar
Adept I

UPDATE: Good news! I got an email this morning saying that the 5900x they sent me is meant to be used until they have 5800X3D in stock! That's actually great. I just have to start a return process when I notice the 5800X3D in stock. 

All things considered, that's a good rma service and I'll consider this resolved 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Copied this part concerning RMA Processor replacement from AMD PIB Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

If the AMD processor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty fails during the warranty period for reasons covered by this Limited Warranty, AMD, at its sole option, will: (1) repair the AMD processor by means of hardware and/or software; (2) replace the AMD processor with another AMD processor of equal or greater performance, including the replacement of your defective part with an AMD recertified product if the part is not currently available*; OR, (3) if AMD is unable to repair or replace the AMD processor, refund the then-current value of the AMD processor

0 Likes

Yeah I get that point, but I don't really think 5900X should count as greater or equal performance over the 5800X3D. I get that they retail for the same price, but they're good at different things, and the 5900x would be downgrade over 5800x3d for my usage. Hopefully they'll let me swap it. The representative I talked to said it was strange that they're sending a different replacement item without asking me first 

Zshahguitar
Adept I

Here's an update from AMD. I'm still going to try to get them to swap it for a 5800X3D. I've waited long enough, what's a little more time? I hope they honor it. Really wish they would have contacted me instead of just sending a different product without asking

"Thank you for your email.
Please note that we have provided free upgrade as AMD Ryzen 9 5900x processor because stock was not available." 

Just curious but was the Retailer's Return Date or Warranty expired when you put in a AMD Warranty Request?

If you do receive the 5900X try selling it at its market price since it is new and use that money to purchase a new 58003D.

Just let the buyer know it won't have any AMD Warranty on it.

I was technically in the retailer return window (antonline) but their policy was pretty bad. If the box had been opened, they would charge a 15% restocking fee for a return. Also, they didn't offer a replacement. What I really wanted was a 5800X3D for the price I paid them, so I figured I'd AMD RMA and get a replacement, or so I thought.

I'll definitely be able to sell the 5900x if they replace it, but it wouldn't be quite enough to buy a new 5800X3D 

Zshahguitar
Adept I

UPDATE: Good news! I got an email this morning saying that the 5900x they sent me is meant to be used until they have 5800X3D in stock! That's actually great. I just have to start a return process when I notice the 5800X3D in stock. 

All things considered, that's a good rma service and I'll consider this resolved 

Something useful to know that AMD has that type of policy.

Good Customer Service is the key to keeping AMD customer's loyal to their brand as your reply shows.