cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fibonacci1123
Journeyman III

Hard reboots with R9 3900x

Hello everybody. I've bought R9 3900x last August and it has been serving me exceptionally well since then, but recently I've encountered a problem. When using Visual Studio 17 to compile a large solution, the computer will suddenly reboot halfway through the process. There is no BSOD (I've checked minidumps, there are none) and there are no errors recorded in the Event Viewer (except for Event 41). The problem is not 100% reproducible, but it is frequent (3 of the 5 compilations result in reboot). The system configuration is stock and is as follows:

• R9 3900x;
  • Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570, latest bios version F12f;
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3200mhz CL16, HyperX Predator, Kingston;
  • Nvidia GTX 1080ti, drivers 445.87 (not sure why this would matter);
  • Windows 10 professional, latest AMD chipset drivers.

This issue is specific to this workflow, as I've not encounter any instability like this while using PC normally or stress testing. It's stable while gaming, and also I've run several hours of Prime95 (Blend and Small FFT) with no issues. Cinebench R20 and other rendering benchmarks like Blender also don't trigger this.

While troubleshooting, I've established that if I change CPU load line calibration from Auto to Medium, the problem goes away. Setting it to Low however doesn't help, the crashes continue to occur.

Any advice is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Reply
fibonacci1123
Journeyman III

Seems that the problem comes from unstable XMP profile. Disabling it and running RAM at 2400MHz seems to have fixed my issues (knock on wood).