Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

herios
Journeyman III

Got some thermal paste stuck in my mobo socket

Jump to solution

So, I was trying to change my CPU cooler and some stock AMD Wraith cooler thermal paste get stuck in my mobo cpu socket. Can I still use my main board or I need to clean it all out first?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Got some thermal paste stuck in my mobo socket

Jump to solution

When you say "in my mobo cpu socket", do you mean in the pin holes? If so you need to clean it as best you can with a needle and magnifying glass, no chemicals.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Jump to solution

When you say "in my mobo cpu socket", do you mean in the pin holes? If so you need to clean it as best you can with a needle and magnifying glass, no chemicals.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
herios
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Is using needle gonna be harmful to the pin holes? I tried to brush it out with a dry toothbrush bus some are still left in the holes.

0 Kudos
ceuotc
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I also had this misfortune whilst building my MSI B350M Tomahawk, whilst fault diagnosing a RAM boot issue, l clean out as much as l could and re-assembled.

It booted fine and all was ok upto a failed BIOS flash (Nothing to do with the thermal paste, and happened weeks later)

As long as the pins get some contact, you should be good.

0 Kudos
herios
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

So now I get it all out (maybe) and I can start the system now. Hope that all is ok in the future...........

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

TIM isn't (supposed to be) electrically conductive, so the chances of a short are small. How did you manage to get it in the socket anyway?

0 Kudos
herios
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Well, it was all my carelessness. I was trying to change wraith cooler to CM V8 Gts. While removing wraith, all that excessive TIM got smeared and some got to the side of CPU so I tried to clean it out of the CPU. But when I take the CPU out some TIM got in to the pins socket. I don't even know how I did it really. lol

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Look up a product called "Arcticlean", same company makes it that does Arctic Silver 5 and their other TIMs, it's a two step TIM remover that makes cleaning effortless, beats 90% alcohol and elbow grease and smells much better too. Best $10 you'll ever spend.

0 Kudos
mat2
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I had a similar problem, asked around, got some great advice and fixed it. I will describe this all here.

First of all, do not insert the CPU before cleaning the thermal paste. It will make the problem worse as the paste will be stuck deep in the socket and more difficult to remove.

I would recommend using isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, available in an electronic store or some hardware stores) to remove the paste. It does not harm most plastics and therefore is frequently used to clean electronics. Use a small brush with the isopropyl alcohol. Caution: isopropanol is flammable so wait for it to evaporate completely before turning the computer on.

If the computer still does not turn on after cleaning, carefully remove the top cover of the CPU socket. It is possible, trust me. First lift the lever straight up. I was advised that to remove the cover, you have to move the top of the socket sideways, but it did not work in my case. I had to lift the hinges that were on sides and the bottom of the socket (as seen on the first photo). Be very careful not to break the cover as it may be brittle because it was exposed to heat from the CPU. It looks something like this (socket AM2):

DSC08728.JPG

DSC08732.JPG

DSC08735.JPG

(photos are mine). Then you will be able to clean everything, wait for it to become dry and reassemble. I have broken the cover somewhat, but the processor is still seated firmly in the socket.

All of this is based on advice I received from user "kiss39" from Polish forum elektroda.pl. The full thread can be found on https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic3584319.html .

0 Kudos