cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

robertoschar
Adept I

gigabyte x370 K7 update to 3700x - Lost dual channel support.

Hi, 

So I updated my Gigabyte x370 k7 mobo from a 1700x to 3700x. After that I noticed an error message when booting up that stated  Memory TPU training error at dimm 0 socket 0.... also noticed that my RAM was half what it was.... from Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit only 16GB was visible in both BIOS and windows..... 

After a lot of experimenting, removing the RAM and trying different combinations.... downgrading BIOS, Updating the BIOS etc. I have come to the conclusion that for some reason my Dual Channel support is no longer active on my motherboard. 

Can anyone help me get past this issue or should I go back to my 1700x where everything worked fine?

Update 1: I put the 1700x just to rule out Motherboard and RAM issues and everything worked as before.... 3.9GHZ overclock stable with the XMP profile on the RAM running smoothly. Makes me wanna find a solution for this even more now.... the 3700x benched ok with CPU-Z... I'm completely at a loss now....

0 Likes
1 Solution

First did you upgrade your BIOS to the correct BIOS version for the new processor?

The correct BIOS version is F40 and later.

Also the RAM MEMORY that is compatible with the 1700 may not be compatible with the 3700x processor.

I have attached the Gigabyte QVL List for the Pinnacle Processor which should be the same for the Matisse Processor since Gigabyte doesn't have a Matisse QVL list for RAM MEMORY.

When you check the QVL list, check to see how many DIMM slots your RAM is compatible to be populated with. Some RAM Memory may be compatible only on 2 DIMM Slots while others are compatible with 4 or more DIMM Slots on the motherboard.

Just took a look at the QVL List for Pinnacle Processors for TEAM RAM MEMORY 3200 Mhz. They all show that they are compatible ONLY WITH 2 DIMM SLOTS POPULATED on the motherboard:

The first "v" is 1 Dimm Slot supported and second "v" is 2 Dimm Slots supported and the third "v" is 4 Dimm Slots is supported. As you can see there are no "v" slots for 4 DIMM slots that your motherboard supports which is why you are only seeing half the Memory since it only is seeing 2 RAM modules and not 4 RAM modules.

Also check the RAM Speed for the Matisse processor that the motherboard supports.

If you RAM is not listed than go to the manufacturer of your RAM Memory and see if it is compatible with Matisse Processors.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
awpii
Adept II

Try installing the 3700x and All of the ram sticks except one at SOCKET 0 DIMM 0 and see if it works, just to make sure it's not some weird issue with the motherboard.
If anything, then try updating the BIOS to the lastest version (should be F50d) and try setting the BIOS settings to default just to make sure. (Updating the BIOS should already do it but make sure).

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I already did that it just switches to the next dual channel and same error comes for dimm1.... i almost sure the memory controller in the cpu is flawed in some way.

Will RMA the cpu and try with the replacement again....

0 Likes

First did you upgrade your BIOS to the correct BIOS version for the new processor?

The correct BIOS version is F40 and later.

Also the RAM MEMORY that is compatible with the 1700 may not be compatible with the 3700x processor.

I have attached the Gigabyte QVL List for the Pinnacle Processor which should be the same for the Matisse Processor since Gigabyte doesn't have a Matisse QVL list for RAM MEMORY.

When you check the QVL list, check to see how many DIMM slots your RAM is compatible to be populated with. Some RAM Memory may be compatible only on 2 DIMM Slots while others are compatible with 4 or more DIMM Slots on the motherboard.

Just took a look at the QVL List for Pinnacle Processors for TEAM RAM MEMORY 3200 Mhz. They all show that they are compatible ONLY WITH 2 DIMM SLOTS POPULATED on the motherboard:

The first "v" is 1 Dimm Slot supported and second "v" is 2 Dimm Slots supported and the third "v" is 4 Dimm Slots is supported. As you can see there are no "v" slots for 4 DIMM slots that your motherboard supports which is why you are only seeing half the Memory since it only is seeing 2 RAM modules and not 4 RAM modules.

Also check the RAM Speed for the Matisse processor that the motherboard supports.

If you RAM is not listed than go to the manufacturer of your RAM Memory and see if it is compatible with Matisse Processors.

You are right about the QVL list.... but I figured if it worked on the 1st gen.... and they are elite class ram, they should work on the 3rd gen.... but i guess gigabyte needs me to buy a new mobo with the new processor..... it just feels wrong to me still. Anyway i have ordered the aorus elite b550 which reports full support on all dimms. We will see if all is well when it arrives. Still would have preferred to avoid changing the mobo..... i was happy with it till i changed the cpu.....

0 Likes

I guess a new Motherboard is cheaper than buying new RAM set.

Seems like you checked the new Motherboard's QVL List for your RAM since you mentioned it is supported on all DIMM Slots.

Anyway it is a big improvement going from a 3xx Motherboard to a 5xx Motherboard that was engineered for the 3rd generation processors.

Take care.

Thank you for your help

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your processor and chipset duo only support 2 DIMMs. If you do not follow this and increase the number of DIMMs, then you can be limited to the motherboard support. Considering this possibility, it is best to choose motherboard + processor + memory for this.

0 Likes

Sorry but they dont even support 2.... 2 means dual channel and I dont have that. They only work 2x single channel and no xmp support. With the previous cpu (1700x) they work perfectly.... my only true option is to buy a newer mobo like the Aorus elite b550 to drive everything properly

0 Likes

Make sure your RAMs are on the support list. Goodbye...

0 Likes
jigzaw
Elite

I had something also strange on my Asrock B350 Pro 4. I upgraded from a 3700X to a 3900X using 2x16 Klevv 3200Mhz, no problem. When I upgraded to a Team T-Force Dark Z 64GB(2x32GB) 3200, it was just showing just 16 GB with a 000 on the boot up screen. Can't figure it out, I reseated the DIMM twice and still won't register. Just a slight pressure on the dimm restart the pc. I took of both sticks off and reset the bios via the jumper switch, put it back on and all went well. I never experience this in pcs I have built.