cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BuffaloAK
Adept I

G.SKILL 32GB (2x16 GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 RAM Question

Hi all, hope I am posting this all right. Just finished my first PC build on Friday and I was having trouble with my motherboard detecting both ram slots. 

Windows 10

Ryzen 3 3700X

MSI B-550A Pro ATX Motherboard

G.SKILL 32GB (2x16 GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 RAM

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060

My issue is that I just checked my 'About my PC' section and it is saying that I only have 16GB ram when I should be getting 32GB ram. Can anyone help me in confirming which slots these ram cards go in. I believe they are both in their respective 'slot 2' (i.e. I have my processor slot, then to the right are my 4 ram slots. It goes 'empty / ram / empty / ram'. 

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yep. 2nd & 4th slot from cpu.

What does Bios info show for amount, have you rechecked sticks are correctly locked in.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If your G-Skill RAM Is not listed on your Motherboard's QVL list for RAM for the Matisse RAM list or it isn't listed on G-Skill's QVL list for Matisse Processors or your motherboard is not listed under your RAM Part number in the G-Skill QVL list than it might not be compatible with your motherboard and not being detected correctly.

I would open a G-Skill Support Ticket to verify if your Motherboard is compatible or not.

But to rule out bad Motherboard Dimm slots try installing the second RAM Module in the the other 3 DIMM slots to see if it shows the full amount of RAM. If it doesn't that is a good indication your RAM is not 100% compatible with your motherboard or it is defective.

EDIT: You also can have a bad RAM Stick. Run MEMTEST86 to verify both Sticks are not defective.

Does your Motherboard show any Trouble LED lit for RAM Memory?

Hi, thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay in response. I consulted the manual and it suggested DIMM 2A and 2B, which is what I have. I tried to switch 2B to 1B and the computer wouldn't boot. I also tried 2A to 1B and that didn't boot. Seems that it definitely needs one in 2A (which makes sense) but does boot if there is one installed not in 1B.

I will have to give G-skill a call and see what's up there. 

0 Likes

BTW, I checked the G-skill website and input my info into their Ram configurator (MSI AMD B550 - B550A PRO) and my Ripjaw 16GBx2 did show up as compatible.

0 Likes

Disconnect your hard drive. Check each stick by putting one in a2, boot to BIOS, hopefully, should show 16GB. Shut down, replace that stick with the other, boot to BIOS, hopefully, should read 16GB or it won't turn on, bad stick. Return the RAM kit for replacement. 

"It worked before you broke it!"

Yep. 2nd & 4th slot from cpu.

What does Bios info show for amount, have you rechecked sticks are correctly locked in.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Everything is still showing 16GB (15.9 exactly), and I double checked to make sure that they are locked in properly.

0 Likes

I took both of them out and reinstalled each one in A2 which showed up fine. I put the other back in A4 and now I am showing all 32GB, must have not been fully installed. Thanks all for your help!