Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fergyferg
Journeyman III

FX 8370 cpu not booting with Asus M5A97 R2.0 MB

Hi,

I upgraded from an FX 4170 to an FX 8370 4.3 GHz but the computer will not boot. There are no beeps and the screen remains black.

My mother board is Asus M5A97 R2.0 MB - which should support the CPU.

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2603, 26/06/2015

Much appreciated if anyone can help me out with this problem.

Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies
tikwid
Adept II

That mobo and CPU are definitely compatible because I have had the same motherboard and CPU for over 4 years and I haven't had any issues booting into BIOS, except when I first built my rig I didn't realize the main ATX cable wasn't all the way in, so I'm wondering if lots of other people made the same mistake in fear of bending the board. I believe there is supposed to be a clicking sound. So make sure all of your connections are secure and also make sure you have your RAM sticks in the right slots because if you have anything less than 4 it actually matters which slots you put them in. The motherboard manual will tell which slots to use depending on how many sticks you're using. Also make sure the PSU you're using is powerful enough and not faulty.

0 Likes

Thanks.

Everyone is telling me that they are compatible. I checked the cables, ram etc. I was told that sometimes there are 2 bios's and maybe I haven't updated them properly. I haven't heard of this before but I'm going to see if I can find any info about it.

0 Likes

Are you booting into bios? If you're booting into bios then all of your

hardware is technically working to an extent. If you can't even boot into

bios then something is faulty or not properly connected.

0 Likes