cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sess
Newcomer

FX-8350 Overheating

I have an overheating problem with my AMD FX-8350 ever since I bought it. When encoding videos, running complex image filters and similar tasks, the processor easily heats up to 75 °C and the PC shuts down soon after. Everything (frequency, voltages etc) should be at default settings. I already switched my old Zalman cooler for a Cooler Master one, with only little improvement.

One thing I noticed is that overheating doesn't necessarily happen during gaming or even when the processor is at 100% usage. But it happens with high probability when for example encoding videos. What I tried was running the stability tests of the AMD Overdrive tool. I noticed that the processor heats up to an acceptable temperature of 60 °C when I try the CPU tests 2 to 7 but when I run CPU tests 0 and 1, the processor instantly heats up to 70 °C and continues to get hotter. As far as I know, tests 0 and 1 test the first and second cores only.

Under Linux I can set the cores to use for a specific process with taskset. I started an application that uses lots of processing power and had it utilizing one of the core number 2 to 7, getting normal temperatures. But the moment I set it to core 0 or 1, the temperature rose significantly (over 70 °C).

How do I stop my processor from overheating in these cases?

Processor: AMD FX-8350

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: Asus 970 Pro Gaming/Aura

0 Likes
1 Reply

That is odd, but even 60*C is right against the thermal maximum of 61*C so you're not exactly great there. CPU 0 and 1 are in the same module so it is possible it's defective. My suggestion would be to RMA it if it's under warranty.

0 Likes