cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jeffssig
Adept II

FX 8350 BIOS settings lost

Can a CPU make the BIOS reset? Also sometimes it will get in a BIOS loop and not load windows.

FX 8350

The CPU is the only common item with problem.

At random My Bios settings are reset.

This has happened with 2  motherboards. Asrock and MSI

3 different sets of RAM

3 GPUs.

3 different SSD 

2 Power supply

Things I have done.

BIOS updates, many new cmos battery, reinstalled win 10 and updated many times. Drivers updated, Checked CPU for bent or missing pins.

The only common item is the CPU so this is why I ask.

0 Likes
1 Solution

You should mark your last post as correct since AMD felt it was a bad CPU and is sending you another one.

Personally, The FX8350 has been an outstanding processor on my computer. It even Overheated more than once and shut down my computer when my old CPU Cooler was failing. After all that, it still is working great.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies
mcalin
Adept III

1: disconnect the front panel reset switch from the motherboard and try again.

If that fails reconnect then,
2: disconnect front panel power switch and start computer by short circuiting the motherboard pins with a insulated screw driver and try again.

good luck.

PS: check the voltage is at least 12V on the 12 volt rail in Bios.

Check Power cables connecting to Mobo are hard in.

0 Likes
jeffssig
Adept II

Hi Mcalin,

There is no reset button this PC case. This is also a 2nd different PC case.

12v on rail

Double checked power cables. and this happens with other power cables from another power supply.

My problem  dont happen all the time. 

I am just wondering if the CPU can make BIOS setting be reset  As it is the only common part that I havent changed.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. 

0 Likes

yes a CPU can make the BIOS reset, normally only if you have tried to change the clock speeds or timings.

Normally its the RAM or battery that causes these problems, it could also be a bad transistor on the motherboard etc.

PS: A hard drive could also cause boot loops!

0 Likes

Thanks for more suggestions and info.

Maybe I was unlucky and had 2 MB and Hard drives doing this?

I had not changed  clock speeds or timings.

The boot loop dont happen as often as the BIOS reset.

I guess its time to move on and upgrade my CPU MB and RAM. Im looking at maybe the Ryzen 5 2600X and an Asus MB

0 Likes

Some X370 motherboards got the Ryzen 3000 update and also PCIE Gen 4, they are all reduced to clear now and an absolute bargain with rock solid bios updates.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18532798 sample x370 system (mine)

0 Likes

Just some friendly advice, when you upgrade to a Ryzen Processor, go to your motherboard's Support site and order the hardware from the Motherboard's QVL Lists especially RAM Memory to eliminate incompatible hardware and make sure the motherboard states it will run out of the box with the new Ryzen if you are planning on purchasing a 3xxx CPU or has the correct BIOS version installed for the new Ryzen you are planning on installing.

Also make sure your PSU is powerful enough to run the hardware you will be installing. You can go by this website for the minimum PSU Requirement you will need to run your computer with a certain GPU Model installed from both AMD and Nvidia: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

This website shows you what AMD Processors comes bundled with a AMD Wraith CPU Cooler: Processor Cooling Thermal Solutions | CPU Coolers | AMD and this website is where AMD Recommends CPU Coolers for its ThreadRipper Processors (180 and 250 Watt TDP): Thermal Solutions for Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors | AMD 

0 Likes

No, a CPU won't reset a Motherboard's BIOS. The CPU, as far as I know, doesn't have the capability to remove power from the CMOS circuit to reset the BIOS nor force the motherboard to reset the BIOS.

If your BIOS is being reset it could be indicating a bad or weak CMOS Battery, possibly a defective motherboard, or if your motherboard has duel BIOS chips in which if the original BIOS is corrupted, the motherboard will automatically installed the backup BIOS to replace the original BIOS, thus resetting the BIOS. 

This was occurring with another User here at AMD Forums previously. The motherboard had a backup BIOS and every time the User updated his BIOS it would reset to the backup BIOS. Finally after updating with different BIOS several times,the latest BIOS version stayed and his RAM Memory was showing correctly. Just as an example.

I also have a FX 8350 CPU and is working as advertised with my Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard. Only problem I had with BIOS was the previous to the last BIOS update version would crash my computer while booting. but after installing latest and last BIOS from Asus for my motherboard it has been working like a charm.

It is possible your CPU is defective if it continues to restart before entering Windows or something is not compatible. Best way to find out is by installing your FX8350 in another compatible motherboard and see if it has the same issues. If it does, then most likely your CPU is defective.

Also if the CPU is overheating will cause the computer to shut down or restart. So make sure the CPU Cooler fan is working and spinning correctly and is not dirty or air flow obstructed. If the CPU Cooler is not cooling it will cause the CPU to shut down within seconds since the FX8350 is a high wattage TDP of 125 watts.

0 Likes

elstaci Thank you for the input.

Ill work from bottom up with my reply:

The PC runs perfect after it boots.( to make boot when it happens I have to turn power switch off and unplug power supply and hold power button on PC down for about 10 seconds then it will most times boot fine)

The CPU is far from overheating.. But yes the fans start when the PC is powered on.

This cpu did the same on an Asrock  MB with different RAM, Drives ,case ect.... everything but CPU has been changed  

I dont have a dual BIOS. this MB is a MSI 970 Gaming. I have the last BIOS update for it.

I have changed the CMOS battery many times. Brands, stores ect.....

0 Likes

Since the same issue happened on two different Motherboards with the same CPU but different hardware, it is possible the CPU is going bad. Since you replaced everything and updated to the latest BIOS version and still having the same issue unless you are using the same Hard Drive. In which case it could be a failing Hard drive.

Have you tried to stress test the CPU to see if it fails under heavy loads?  Download OCCT or some other CPU stress test software and see if the CPU starts to act up or shuts down. Also if you decide to use OCCT, run the PSU test which runs both the CPU and GPU stress test at the same time. If it shuts down during the test then you need to check the log to see what hardware was at fault.

When you boot into Windows run chkdsk C: /f/r/x in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell. Since it is the Windows Drive it will let you know it will check out the hard drive next time you boot up and before starting Windows. It may takes more than an hour, depending on the size of the Hard Drive. Or you can download Hard Drive Diagnostic tool from Seagate and run that to check your C: Drive.

When it starts the BIOS loop are there any MoBo Trouble LEDs lit or odd BEEPS?  The Trouble LED will till you generally what hardware is having problems and so will the BEEPS when POSTING.

I imagine your CPU is older than 3 years. If not I would open a AMD Warranty Request (AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD ) and see if it can be RMAed. All Processor-In-A-Box have a 3 year Warranty from AMD.

Or open a AMD Service ticket from here and see what they suggest: Online Service Request | AMD

I believe the computer symptoms will get worse as time goes by if the CPU or some other hardware is failing. 

0 Likes

Yes, the processor itself runs the BIOS boot program. Each motherboard

has to be equipped with appropriate BIOS that a processor of compatible

chip set can use. ... The bios is just software stored on a chip. It

has a special memory address, and theCPU is hardwired to execute the

program in that address when it turns on.

0 Likes

You are correct, that the CPU needs to have the correct BIOS version installed for the motherboard to recognize the processor.

The Processor is initialized by BIOS when power is first applied but it doesn't control BIOS. So it is unable to reset BIOS or change BIOS in any way. BIOS is accessed by the processor when powered up to get the information it needs to initialize and run the computer when booting up.

What BIOS does:

From Wikipedia concerning BIOS:

0 Likes
jeffssig
Adept II

Thanks for the upgrade advice. 

Ill do a stress test. I have never done that before. 

I bought this CPU new from Newegg in march 2019. I did a support request yesterday with AMD. Power supply is a Corsair 750. ( also a few months old) 

Now for the last kicker......... My PC time /clock  keeps advancing. last few day its been a 10-12 min. Today it was 2.5 hours.

0 Likes

Open a AMD Warranty Request and see if AMD believes the CPU needs to be RMAed or Open a Warranty with Newegg if AMD Warranty suggests that way first.

Also run Chkdsk C: or use Seagate Tools to make sure the Hard Drive/SSD doesn't have any bad sectors or is defective.

Here is an article on how to prevent your Windows PC Clock from constantly changing: What can I do if Windows 10 time keeps changing? 

Your Corsair 750 Watt PSU is sufficient for running most modern GPU Cards.

0 Likes
jeffssig
Adept II

AMD is sending me another CPU. It should be here in a week or so. Only took one message with them to RMA it.

You should mark your last post as correct since AMD felt it was a bad CPU and is sending you another one.

Personally, The FX8350 has been an outstanding processor on my computer. It even Overheated more than once and shut down my computer when my old CPU Cooler was failing. After all that, it still is working great.

0 Likes
jeffssig
Adept II

Received new CPU from AMD today. All is well so far. Might just be me but it seems to run better