Adept I

FX-8350 / ASUS 970 ProGaming / AURA Mobo overheating issue

Specs:

FX-8350 CPU, ASUS 970 ProGaming / AURA Motherboard

Coolermaster Cosmos Full tower case

Noctua case fans

Arctic Freezer A11 CPU heatsink/fan

----------------------------

For the last few months I've been fighting extreme overheating on my CPU. Trying to determine if it's the MoBo or the CPU.  Since the issue first started I've replaced all the case fans and the old Coolermaster CPU fan.  I replaced it with what the internet assured me are nice fans and cooling solutions.  I ordered a water cooling system which was leaking when I opened the package so I'm going to go ahead and not do that.  (that's when I got the Arctic Freeze)

As of now, the side of the CPU is open with a fan blowing in.  It's actually the only way I can do anything at this point.  I actually just played BF4 (!!) with this set up and barely made it 5 minutes in.  Without the case open like this it won't even make it past the loading screen.

I've confirmed everything is seated correctly.  This  morning I removed the gobs of thermal paste i put on there thinking maybe I had TOO MUCH of it, and replaced it with a pea sized amount and put the heat sink back on.  Nothing seems to be fixing the issue, even shutting off 4 of the 8 cores results in a giant heap of nothing.  ASUS suggests it's the CPU.  Not a terribly surprising thing.

Does anyone know if there are known issues with this configuration (MoBo / CPU) or with this CPU at all?  I wouldn't mind ordering a new CPU, even going one step backwards if I need to. My needs aren't very big. I'm not trying to build the mega system of the century, I just want dance on the fallen e-bodies of my e-enemies PUBG style without crashing when I draw my weapon.  I'm just hesitant to keep throwing different components at this issue until the right one sticks.  I'm close to buying a completely new system, case and all but that's a last resort.

thoughts?

0 Likes
7 Replies

The Arctic Freeze A11 CPU Cooler according to Amazon is for CPU up to 150 Watt TDP (https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-A11-Installation-Professional/dp/B00HO9P0J6 ). The FX 8350 is a 125 Watt TDP. So it should be sufficient to keep your CPU cool.

I have been using a FX 8350 on a Asus Sabertooth 990FX without any problems. I did need to upgrade my very old Stock CPU Cooler that started to cause my CPU to overheat under heavy loads of more than 70-100% after a few years of use. Installed a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 ECO with two fans and now my CPU (FX 8350 Black Edition) under heavy loads and 100% usage doesn't go above 59-60c.

If you put a heavy amount of Thermal Paste that will prevent your CPU Cooler from efficiently cooling your CPU. Plus you need to clean both the CPU and heat sink surface completely clean with Isopropyl Alcohol. You just just need a very thin layer for best results.

From Arctic Freeze Website:  https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/freezer-a11.html 

I don't know how a CPU can cause itself to overheat with proper cooling unless the CPU temperature sensors are defective. I would follow Arctic Freeze instructions on how to install the Cooler correctly for best efficient cooling.

If you purchased the CPU in a Box, you have a three year AMD Warranty to return it from date of purchase. You can open an online AMD Warranty Request and see if they believe you should RMA your CPU if it is still under warranty from here: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

Note: When the CPU is overheating, is the CPU physically hot to the touch (please do it in a safe manner). The heat sink pipes should be very hot if the CPU is overheating.

strido
Adept I

Unfortunately I don't have the box or the receipt anymore. I'm sure I'll find them after I replace this.

I guess I'll order a new one and put that in there.  As I said, my needs aren't really that big. Just PUBG and Rocksmith without crashing will do.

I'm 1,000 percent sure the cooling solutions i have are adequate and the CPU is seated right, and I have the right amount of paste on there. I've taken it off and replaced it with varying amounts maybe 3 times by now.  I can't imagine any other way to do it.  That's why i asked if there could be too much as opposed to not enough.

meh.  We'll see.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
noodles59
Miniboss

have I missed the CPU temperatures you are actually talking about?... and perhaps overclocked too much?

Sorry about that!

No overclocking - just stock speeds.  With the PC closed, it idles at between 70-90F (21-32c).  If I turn on PUBG or really any game, BF4 included it will shoot up a good hundred degrees to about 170-180f (to about 76-85c) and then the PC just crashes.

The PC will crash with no gaming if I leave it completely closed.  Right now it's got a fan on the floor blowing into the open side.

Sad face.

0 Likes

I remember one User here at AMD Forums had a similar problem with his CPU overheating as soon as it started. I asked him to put downward pressure on the CPU Cooler when powering up the Computer. He said as soon as he put downward pressure on the CPU Cooler the CPU Temperatures immediately lowered to normal temperatures. As soon as he removed the downward pressure, the CPU immediately started to overheat. Turned out the that CPU Heat sink  was not level with the CPU surface and not making good contact (one side was slightly tilted and not making contact).  He went and reinstalled it correctly and the CPU has normal temperatures afterwards.

Just one way to check to be sure your CPU Cooler is making good contact with the CPU Surface.

70c-90c Idle temperatures indicates, basically , no CPU cooling at all.   (Misread idle temperatures)

0 Likes

Your idle temp looks normal but load temp is excessive - cooler fan load-failing (rpm pickup) or dust mats blocking airflow?

Comes to mind the top mounted case fans are extractors, yes?! ... same for backside mounted fans all extractors?!

In short you need at least same amount of blowers/suckers to encourage decent air throuput inside the case..

Remember the best cooler can't help when running in an hotair oven

0 Likes

Oops, Misread your idle temps, I thought they were in Centigrade and not Fahrenheit. Yes, those idle temperatures are very good for that particular CPU. But if your room temperature is hot, as , mentioned in the previous comment, like in the high 80's or 90's that might explain for the overheating during heavy stressing or loads since it is in-taking hot air which will prevent the heat sink coils from eliminating excess heat efficiently.

EDIT: If you CPU temps at idle is 70F - 90F with the computer case closed, than it probably isn't due to a hot room. Otherwise your CPU idle temps would be much higher at idle in a hot room.

0 Likes