cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

FX 6300 CPU fan high speed when not needed.

CPU/GPU: FX 6300 (stock cooler) - RX 480 (Sapphire Nitro)

The thing is I'm hearing something "vibrating" the moment I installed the new GPU.

I'm pretty sure everything is tightly installed, I just don't seem to find the root of the issue.

I'm guessing it just might be RPM on something. The CPU hits 6k - 6.5k and the GPU around 1.5k

Temps are at 53c the CPU and 71c the GPU. (Max numbers while gaming)

Are those values normal? Should I re check all the screws?

Any advice will be much appreciated

Edit:

With SpeedFan I took the GPU fans to 100% for a few minutes and no vibration noise.

So, I'm starting to think the CPU fan is the issue. 6000+ rpm for 53c under load seems a bit over the top. I might be wrong though.

Any thoughts on that? Should I just consider an aftermarket cooler/heatsink?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: FX 6300 CPU fan high speed when not needed.

AMD's stock fans are PWM so you could nudge it down a few hundred RPM and see if that makes a difference, their thermal max is 61°C so you have some wiggle room. Personally I'd go with an aftermarket heatsink for acoustical purposes, but I'm used to the silence of my liquid cooler, though aftermarket air coolers are much more acoustically pleasing than AMD's stock one.

0 Kudos
Big Boss
Big Boss

1.Enable in BIOS automatic FAN control and choose Normal or Silent

2.It may be vibration of GPU FAN on certain frequencies.Try to tweak GPU FAN in MSI afterburner.

"The thing is I'm hearing something "vibrating" the moment I installed the new GPU."-why are you suspected CPU first of all?

Do you have vibration on idling or under heavy load?

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I can definitely hear something like a "metal vibrating" sound under heavy load. In my case this means gaming. I suspect the CPU fan is involved due to the fact that I raised the GPU fans to 100% for a while and the noise never appeared.

It does appear though, exactly when I hear the CPU fan reach its max RPM. Wich both Speedfan and HW identify as around 6.5k RPM So I'm fairly certain that's the spot. I'm guessing there's a screw (the ones that put together the CPU fan and the heatsink) that's actually colliding the heatsink in some way due to the ludicrous speed the fan reaches =/

I have an Asrock N68-GS4 FX. The CPU settings are:

*No C&C

*Automatic Mode

*Level 4 Fan Speed (minimum speed before reaching target temp)

*53c Target Temp (from this number on, it raises fan speed to cool the CPU)

Thanks for writing back.

0 Kudos
Big Boss
Big Boss

Truth is - AMD stock cooler is completely trash by all parameters. Just buy any cooler for 20$. Make yourself a gift

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yes, indeed. Tomorrow I'll be getting the Cooler Master Hyper TX3. The sooner me and the AMD stock cooler part ways, the better.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Could go liquid and have dead silence

0 Kudos
Big Boss
Big Boss

It should be enough for your CPU

0 Kudos
Big Boss
Big Boss

Liquid cooling = dead silence? Only in theory.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Mine is, 2 fans <1000 RPM, my computer's about as loud as a library when not gaming, and not much louder when gaming thanks to the R9 Nano's efficiency.

0 Kudos