Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jonnybe123
Adept I

Freezing/Hanging

Hi Everyone,
I built my first PC this week with a bit of advice from friends who are much more experienced. I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700x including new Motherboard (MPG B550) and new DDR4 Ram. I kept my old Nvidia 970 though as Gcards are super expensive at the moment and it still holds up reasonably well.

Everything seems to be ok for the most part. Performance increased quite significantly across the board and after tweaking the ram in the bios I've got it running at 3000 MHz (It can apparently go up to 3400 MHz). 

I'm having a minor problem though. After a while of using the PC, I will get occasions freezes/hanging. Nothing major but frustrating. I played the old DOD Source and every 30 seconds or so the game would freeze. In RE7 though I have a weird thing where the game doesn't freeze but my controls do for a split second. 

On the desktop I have a similar issue to RE7 where the mouse pointer will freeze all of a sudden. Various programs as well will flick in and out. 

I'm not sure if I've done something wrong, if its a hardware defect or if there is a driver issue. I've updated all the drivers but didn't install a fresh copy of windows as I was basically using just another AMD Processor. Not sure if this could be an issue? 

Anyway, any suggestions of what I can do to fix it would be much appreciated. 
Thank you in advance! 

0 Likes
8 Replies
Mozart
Adept I

Try disabling Global c-state in bios and see if that helps, it did the job for me

Thank you. Will give it a go and let you know how I get on. 

0 Likes

Unfortunately its not worked. Do let me know if you have any other suggestions.

0 Likes

Pop open your event viewer in windows and see if you're getting any WHEA Error 18's occurring around the same time as your system freezes/hangs.

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | NZXT Kraken x63 | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON 7B93v1B | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz G.Skill Neo 16-19-19-39 | ASROCK 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA G3-1000 | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB ]

Hi,
I had a check and though there a few issues, nothing pops up at the same time as the freezes.  

I've also monitored the CPU/RAM usage in the Task Manager and nothing changes unfortunately. 

0 Likes

Maybe this is related.

AMD To Probe Potential USB Connectivity Issue on Ryzen Systems (anandtech.com)

[ AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | NZXT Kraken x63 | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON 7B93v1B | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz G.Skill Neo 16-19-19-39 | ASROCK 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | EVGA G3-1000 | SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB ]
0 Likes
jonnybe123
Adept I

Quick update for everyone. I've requested a replacement as its less than a week since I received the Processor from Amazon who are shipping a new one to me. I will install the replacement processor and see if that was in fact the issue. 

Upon investigation online it looks likely that it could be a hardware failure which could have come from the transportation of the part (they were left outside upon delivery in the rain). 

I'll let you know if this fixes the issue. 

0 Likes

Hi all,
Just confirming that it was in fact a hardware issue. Looks like a few of the pins bent either during installation or prior to receiving. 
The new processor has fixed the issue.
Thanks,
Jon

0 Likes