cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Anonymous
Not applicable

Flash bios button and best bios version for ryzen7 2700x

I have ryzen 2700x and B450 tomahawk max. Motherboard have flash bios button. I can flash to new bios version agesa 1.2.0.0 and newer but can I flash bios to older version later? I did see on internet that msi will not allow to go back from agesa 1.2.0.0 to older bios version, is that true?

I did see on reddit some users say they have imrpoved performance with ryzen 2000 series cpu with agesa 1.2.0.0 or newer. If I can come back to older bios with flash bios button I want to try new version of bios to see results.

I did some complains from users about usb connectivity problems with ryzen 5000 series cpu and b550 boards. Will I have usb connectivity problems with agesa 1.2.0.0 or newer on B450 tomahawk max and ryzen 2700x ?

0 Likes
12 Replies
Vynski
Exemplar

I too am running a Ryzen 7 2700 on an MSI MPG x570 board with version 1.2.0.7 for quite some time.

I just looked at the latest version BIOS for the B450 Tomahawk and it is the same as the  X570 1.2.0.7

If you download the BIOS heed the manual warning about using the recommended Edge browser.  I just had one of those lessons learned about 2 months ago and just forgot about that little warning.  I've been doing this for over 35 years now but, I used my default browser Opera.  When I flashed the BIOS it failed.  Fortunately the board was still under warranty and they granted an RMA.  I can't say for sure if the browser was the culprit, but they put that warning in the manual for some reason, and suspect that is why.  This is probably the only time I have used Opera to download a BIOS and it will definitely be the last.

If you have MSI CENTER installed use it to get to Live Update.  Start the program then select SUPPORT and you will see Live Update.  Select it then scan and it will show the latest BIOS version available.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did see warning in bios and download section for motherboard on msi site. they suggest using Chrome or Edge browser to download BIOS, Drivers, etc.

Thank you for warning. I didnt take it seriously and I did use firefox but only for downloading chipset and audio drivers with firefox.

I did find information and micro code or fix for usb problems is not included in 1.2.0.7 version. Did you have any problems?

0 Likes

Usually bios updates contain previous fixes, no need to mention old fixes on new bios versions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I've never encountered any problems with chipsets or Adrenalin drivers or drivers for other products.  Having and using so many MSI boards I've always been aware of the BIOS warning.  I just plain forgot about it until after the fact.

What kind of USB problems are you having.  I have all kinds of USB ports on my computers, type A, type C, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2, you name it I've got em.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont have problems, but some users did complain about usb problems on agesa 1.2+

0 Likes
wuest3nfuchs
Adept I

Hello,

For a 2700x i would recommend Agesa 1.2.0.3c .

6800XT Pulse,2700X @4 Ghz allcore,X470 Crosshair Hero VII,32GB Gskill 3600mhz B-Die,
Anonymous
Not applicable

msi do not offer 1.2.0.3c for b450 tomahawk + max + maxII

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is agesa 1.2.0.3.c your pick. I like to know details.

0 Likes

You know the EDC Bug/Issue ?

6800XT Pulse,2700X @4 Ghz allcore,X470 Crosshair Hero VII,32GB Gskill 3600mhz B-Die,
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone did mention that problem recently and said in 1.2.0.7 its not fixed. https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-you-can-do-better-and-more-stable-drivers/m-p/5510...

I didnt hear about that. But I can see talk on google about that. So problem is about cpu droping clock speed and for big amount. Agesa 1.2.0.3.c do not have that problem?

What is value for your vcore voltage? On b450 tomahawk max 1.45v is default but my temperatures are low and I get boost up to 4.2 ghz on all cores on default settings with xmp for ram set to 3200mhz. Tested in warzone and that game use big amount of cpu compared to other games.

0 Likes

Hi, i do a Pstate OC @ 4Ghz allcores 1.268v .

EDITED on 24.10.2022

One issue i have is the cpu is downclocking but not downvolting anymore with a fixed clock even if i set multiple Pstates. on stock even with pstate @ 3,7Ghz downvolting works...i dont get it...