Did you mean: 

Processors

t00sl0w
Journeyman III

fix 2700x low idle voltage crashing

system specs

proc - 2700x

mobo - asrock taichi ultimate x470

I have an issue that I dont see mentioned really that much at all. basically, i cant get my machine to have enough voltage at idle to remain stable 24/7...the idle voltage drops to sub .7-.75 w/offset which causes stability issues long term. This is a problem because this machine sidelines as a plex server so it its to be available 24/7.

If I disable XFR/PBO, XMP, basically anything i can to neuter the machine and not have crazy spikes in either direction, then the idle voltage will stay in the .8-.9 range and the system is stable. I dont want to do this as i would like max performance as i also game on this machine, encode, render, etc.

What i have seen with testing and playing with the offset is i basically i have to move it all the way up to like -.02-.03 to keep it as close to .77-.79 that i can get and this gives me "ok" idle stability, sometimes. BUT the problem becomes the single core boosting spikes stupid high, like 1.51 and the all core goes up to the 1.36-1.37 range. If i increase the offset to -.1 then the single core spikes are max like 1.44 and the all core is 1.32, and along with this my frequencies in single core and all core are a little higher....ive seen all core in the high 4.1, close to 4.2 sustained, when i use this offset....BUT, obviously, idle is .69-.7 and the system crashes if i leave it alone for a couple hours.

What, i would love to be able to do is set a hard minimum voltage, I dont know if this is possible in pstates or what....but set a minimum at like .85, .9 or something and then use the .-1 offset and leave the rest on auto as i am perfectly happy with how the system functions when in use, with that offset and voltage...its just that idle.

Thanks for any help guys.

0 Likes
2 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

t00sl0w, here is my advice.  Please quit messing with the core voltage!  I am sure you are a very intelligent and informed person, but I suspect the AMD engineers that designed the processor understands it better than you do.  Vcore of 0.75 volts if fine.  Right now my 3970X average core voltage is around 0.5 volts and never any crashes.  Ryzen is well known to be very responsive - must be new to the world.  This means jumping clocks, voltages, currents and power.  Please get used to it.  If you are crashing, then suspect something besides Vcore - perhaps memory or errant applications.  I recommend you go into Settings-Apps and uninstall all applications not really needed, especially ASRock, HWinfo and etc., do a Clear CMOS.  Run only Ryzen Master and enjoy.  Thanks, John.

0 Likes

did you read any of what i said?
I have done extensive testing for many months, this isnt just something I've been doing for the last couple days....i got a 2700x very shortly after release and have been testing since. I've been able to narrow all problems down to the idle voltage as it is something i can completely resolve when the idle is allowed to exist above a certain threshold. This machine sometimes encodes for 24hrs straight, so I'm not worried about memory stability or errant applications.

Also, i do not think you can compare zen+ and zen2 voltages at all, so I'm not sure why you made that leap.

0 Likes