cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

FD8370FRW8KHK (FX-8370) CPU doesn't work in ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer motherboard

Jump to solution

Hello all.

Before I RMA this chip I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this or ideas.

So I have the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer motherboard which is great and was running a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition on it for about a year with no problem (the chip also ran in a GB board for like 7 years before that without issue) but recently I needed to upgrade so I looked over the CPU compatibility list for that board and chose the FD8370FRW8KHK which is a FX-8370 chip.   I also made sure I had the latest BIOS while I was there.

Should work right?  Nope.  Put everything back together and the fans and lights all come on but nothing on the monitor.  Put back in the Phenom and boots right up.

So before I RMA the chip, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.  Like some trick or setting I forgot about.

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: FD8370FRW8KHK (FX-8370) CPU doesn't work in ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer motherboard

Jump to solution

Did you reset your BIOS?  Clear the CMOS is always a wise move when installing a new CPU.  You can always go back in and make changes after the POST

QB

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: FD8370FRW8KHK (FX-8370) CPU doesn't work in ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer motherboard

Jump to solution

Did you reset your BIOS?  Clear the CMOS is always a wise move when installing a new CPU.  You can always go back in and make changes after the POST

QB

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Jump to solution

With the extensive testing AMD performs before packaging the CPU, I'd be very surprised if it were defective unless it shows signs of visual damage or it was electrically zapped from static electricity or similar. As noted you should always clear the CMOS and use the latest BIOS or at lease the BIOS stated by the mobo maker that supports the CPU model you are using.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

That's it. I've seem to have done this a thousand times but clearly never

with the same motherboard. I'm usually updating both. I can't believe I

forgot this was a thing. Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Did you also check the memory compatibility list? There seems to be huge differences between different memories.

0 Kudos