cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hconel
Adept I

Re: Expected temperature of 3960x under sustained loading

The first remark in this picture is the huge difference between PPT, CPU Power, TDC and EDC percentages. Is this related to the model difference (3960x vs 3970x)? Which I highly doubt.

0 Likes
hconel
Adept I

May I also ask for how long did you run Cinebench to get these results?

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

hconel, my 3970X is running completely factory settings except for the XMP 3200MHz.  I have tried to discover what CPU Power and SOC Power are and what they are used for.  The AMD people I talked to did not know and AMD does a very poor job of documenting their applications.  I do believe these two are informational and are not used for throttling.  PPT, TDC and EDC are defined in the RM documentation and are used for throttling along with CPU Temperature.  With factory settings all three will increase, your MHz will increase.  When W10 gives your processor work to do the goal is to get it completed ASAP!  This will drive your CPU temperature up but it will be limited to 95C even if your cooler cannot.  Please open RM and click on '? Help' at the bottom left and a browser page will open with lots of good information.  I use Ctrl-f to open a search window and use this to get details.  It will tell what these are but not what they mean.  The SOC is the System on A Chip that is used for the system management function, memory controller, RAID controller and probably more.  Please ask any more questions.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

If DOCP is causing the issue and I would not be surprised if it is. Others have complained to about how ASUS does this. You could turn DOCP off I think and just manually change the memory speed and timings. I hope your board has the flex-ability. If not you could probably do it from Ryzen Master but bios would be better if possible. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I recommend setting the RAM to DDR4-3200 for Ryzen 3000 and TRX40 speeds are also DDR4-3200

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

hconel, takes my system about 30 seconds - just timed it.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: If you want a heavy load forever, you can use Prime95.

0 Likes
Gibo69
Journeyman III

Hello hconel,

May I ask you in what PC case you have installed your 3960X system ?

I am in the process of building a similar system.... 3960X on a Asus Zenith II Extreme Alpha mainboard.

I decided to start with a NH-U14S TR4-SP3 cooler and if temps are not good enough i will go custom loop.

The case i have right now is this one:

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/lian-li-pc-v2120-review/1/

https://www.techspot.com/amp/review/343-lian-li-pc-v2120/

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/lian-li-pc-v2120/

Right now I have 3x140mm + 5x120mm Noctua fans...

The i7-5930k at 4.5Ghz right now run at max 60°C with a Noctua NH-D15S...

But in case i should go custom loop with the 3960X i might consider another case.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes