Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

tac20001
Journeyman III

EPYC 7251 slower on windows 10 than Ubuntu 16.04

Dear all,

I have a computer with an AMD EPYC 7251 dual boot between windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04. When using an application, it is almost 1.7 slower on windows than on linux OS. I made the test with another CPU (Intel Xeon X5690) even if the performances are much lower than the AMD EPYC 7251, I do not have this discrepancy between linux and windows OS. I have read that the AMD PSP is not fully supported on Ubuntu 16.04. Could it be the origin of this discrepancy? Is there a way to improve the performances on windows (either at the level of the OS or at the level of the application). Thank you.

Best regards,

0 Likes
4 Replies

I presume this is a Server you are talking about and not a Workstation.  AMD Forums has a specific Forum for Server type questions concerning EPYC CPUs: AMD Server Gurus .

That is if no one is able to properly answer your question at this particular Forum.

0 Likes
abucodonosor
Adept III

Hello ,

Has nothing to do with the PSP .. I general Linux performs better , even for Intel.

I run an system with two EPYC 7281 on an H11DSi-NT with 128GB or RAM and I can tell

you Windows of _any_ sort just plain s****. 

You may want to have a look there :

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1

BR

0 Likes

Dear all,

Thank you for your answer. I had already read this document and, even if it points out the fact that the applications are slower on windows 10 than Linux OS, there is no explanation on the origin of this difference. For instance, on the other computer with an old intel processor, I do not observe such a difference.

Best regards,

0 Likes
tuxine
Adept II

I am not a Windows or Linux guru. I am only a user of Gentoo and Win10. So the likelihood is high that I tell nonsense.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations has a power plan that is missing from other Windows 10 versions: it's called Ultimate Performance Mode. The name promises even more performance than the otherwise possible power plan "maximum performance", according to Microsoft, he avoids in particular so-called micro-latencies, so delayed by the power-saving functions starting processes. The power plan can also conjure up with other Windows 10 versions from 1803 (April Update). To do this, start a command line (cmd.exe) with administrator rights (right-click) and enter the command there

(At your own risk !! Do not complain !!)

powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

on. Now you can close the command line and open "Select power plan". If you do not see the Ultimate Performance mode, click Show more power plans. Sometimes he will appear after a reboot. Anyway, it's enough to select "Ultimate Performance" afterwards.

Whether that is your wish I do not know. You should probably check out the usual suspects, unwanted services and so on.

T.

0 Likes