Asus Prime B450-Plus, Athlon 200GE and Adata XPG 8200pro nvme

Bios can not see the nvme disk...

Does Athlon 200GE support nvme ?????

0 Likes
12 Replies
int13h
Staff

It does.

Although, Athlon has less PCI-E links than Ryzen processors, so a few expansion slots may not work.

It is clearly written in your MB manual that m.2 slot will work as SATA only with Athlon.

If x16 PCI-E is not occupied - you may purchase an m.2=>PCI-E adapter and put your SSD there.

int13h wrote:

It does.

Although, Athlon has less PCI-E links than Ryzen processors, so a few expansion slots may not work.

It is clearly written in your MB manual that m.2 slot will work as SATA only with Athlon.

If x16 PCI-E is not occupied - you may purchase an m.2=>PCI-E adapter and put your SSD there.

Adapters can cost more than a low cost M.2 SATA SSD that I have seen. USB 3.0 units are now more widely available. The PCIe card is not as common.

Might be less costly for the OP to get a new CPU like the R3 2200G which has integrated graphics and support for NVME SSD as well. The R3 2200G is widely available and it definitely would be a step up.

0 Likes
kaastrup
Journeyman III

I found out....

Actually the mobo/apu does support nvme pcie 3.0x4 - But I had to go into bios and enable "cpu pcie lanes unlock" before the bios could detect the nvme.

As I read it 200GE supports 16 pcie 3.0 lanes (8+4+4) 8 lanes for PEG graphics, 4 lanes for chipset and 4 lanes for nvme.

My Adata XPG SX8200 pro runs on x4 so thats fine.

And my XFX RX 460 OC only runs pcie 3.0 x8 so thats also fine.

I just dont understand why I had to enable this "cpu pcie lanes unlock" in the bios before it worked, default settings was disable....what is the meaning with that setting, and why is it not always enabled ???

Testing the nvme drive with Crystaldiskmark 7, I get around 3450 MB/s read nut only 1300 MB/s write speed - I will try to take out the gpu using only the apu and see if it makes any difference. The read speed is ok, but the write speed is not in the ballpark...

If I decide to get a new gpu like say the RX 580 - which has pcie 3.0x16, then the 200GE will lack lanes.....however the difference on pcie3.0x16 and pcie3.0x8 is not big...

Forgot to mention the ram is Patriot Viper 4 Black 16GB kit 3200mhz.

So the part conclusion must be that the components are working fine together.

0 Likes

The Athlon 200GE only has 8 lanes for a discrete graphics card. My R5 2400G is the same. It does not matter much.

0 Likes

As I wrote too...8+4+4...8 for peg

I have just reinstalled win 10 only windows drivers tested the write speed of the nvme again....but no difference in write speed I can only get 1300MB/s ???

0 Likes

Uh i got it...the 256gb version adata sx8200 pro is only rated at 1150MB/s.....did not see that....then its ok.

Now I just have to decide weather I want to keep the Asus prime b450-plus or go for the MSI b450 Tomahawk max

0 Likes

kaastrup wrote:

As I wrote too...8+4+4...8 for peg

I have just reinstalled win 10 only windows drivers tested the write speed of the nvme again....but no difference in write speed I can only get 1300MB/s ???

If you want more SSD  speed, the high end of the market with Samsung and Intel are faster

0 Likes

Hi
This is getting a bit weird....
On a new gaming pc build I started out with a Asus Prime B450-Plus mobo, Athlon 200GE, adata xpg8200 pro nvme and xfx rx 460 gpu
At first could not see the nvme disk in bios, then I found out that I had to enable a setting i bios called "cpu pcie lanes unlocked" - magic I could now see my nvme disk. Testing speed with crystaldiskmark 7 I got 3200MB/s read and 1300MB/s write, very close to the maximum, and everthing was running fine.
But reading the internet I found out that many people fancy the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (better vrm etc...), and at nearly the same price I swapped my asus prime b450-plus mobo for this msi b450 tomahawk max.

NOW I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED

Running the same crystaldiskmark test I only get 1700MB/s write and the same read (1300MB/S) - Why is that ???
What are the equivalent bios setting in msi for the "cpu pcie lanes unlocked" ???? MSI must have the same setting somehow....

0 Likes

Different motherboards may have different settings exposed.

I suggest using the optimal BIOS defaults and go from there

0 Likes

I have tried loading optimal settings...no difference...

There must be a specific setting hidden somewhere, else I will change the mobo back again...

It just seems wrong that two motherboards with the same chipset can have this big difference in nvme speed (lanes)

0 Likes

There are  all kinds of differences which is why even motherboards are reviewed on mass

0 Likes

kaastrup a écrit:

Actually the mobo/apu does support nvme pcie 3.0x4 - But I had to go into bios and enable "cpu pcie lanes unlock" before the bios could detect the nvme.

As I read it 200GE supports 16 pcie 3.0 lanes (8+4+4) 8 lanes for PEG graphics, 4 lanes for chipset and 4 lanes for nvme.

My Adata XPG SX8200 pro runs on x4 so thats fine.

And my XFX RX 460 OC only runs pcie 3.0 x8 so thats also fine.

kaastrup, does that mean you are able to run on a B450 motherboard with Athlon200GE both a SSD NVMe and Graphics card simulatneously (provided you unlocked the CPU PCIe lanes in the BIOS) ?

Does the graphics card run in x4 or x8 ? (specs usually say only x4, but maybe that's without the PCIe unlock)

I have a Asus PRIME B450M-A and already use a SSD NVMe with it. I was wondering if adding a graphics card in addition to the NVMe SSD would actually work.

Thank you for confirming.

0 Likes