cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Does all Ryzen cpu fully support Windows 7 installation and updates?

Article here says no driver for Ryzen cpu on Win7.  Can Win7 install on a Ryzen cpu system and does Win7 updates work?

AMD confirms there will be no Ryzen drivers for Windows 7 | PC Gamer 

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Does all Ryzen cpu fully support Windows 7 installation and updates?

Some motherboards have Windows 7 drivers, like the ASUS Prime X370-Pro, but you will not get updates without the Unofficial Patch Unblocks Windows 7 and 8.1 Updates for Kaby Lake, Ryzen​, which is subject to be made worthless at any time that Microsoft chooses, and NVMe support requires a Samsung NVMe drive with the standalone drivers, but you will not be able to update the firmware of an NVMe drive without Windows 8.1 or 10. But other than that Ryzen works just fine on Windows 7.

Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

i just skipped the march and april updates so the telemitry  wasnt installed. other than that i run win 7 fine. just avoid the updates that read hardware. and or just delete the task schedulars from task manager that would read your hardware. basically you dont want microslopt to review your activity you been doing and hardware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I cannot find any information from AMD Ryzen website about unsupported Win7 OS or Win7 unofficial patch.  On AMD driver support page, they have AMD chipset that you can download for Win7 on Ryzen cpu.   Does this confirmed it fully and officially support Win7 so article about unsupported Win7 are wrong?

amd-chipset-ryzen-win7.png

amd-chipset-ryzen-win7-2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Sorry I reply to the wrong person.

I cannot find any information from AMD Ryzen website about unsupported Win7 OS or Win7 unofficial patch.  On AMD driver support page, they have AMD chipset that you can download for Win7 on Ryzen cpu.   Does this confirmed it fully and officially support Win7 so article about unsupported Win7 are wrong?  Does AMD chipset driver fix Win7 update issue or I still need the unofficial patch.

amd-chipset-ryzen-win7.png

amd-chipset-ryzen-win7-2.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

The drivers will be found on the motherboard manufacturer's website. Check it before you pick a motherboard to ensure Windows 7 drivers are provided. As for the unofficial patch, it is not made by AMD, a direct link is in my previous post.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Appreciate your expertise and link to unoffical Win7 Update Patch for Ryzen. 

Ryzen - Wikipedia

Although AMD "verified" the ability for computers with Ryzen processors to boot Windows 7 and Windows 10, Microsoft only officially supports Ryzen on computers running Windows 10 per support policies. Windows Update blocks updates from being installed on Ryzen systems running versions older than Windows 10. In support of this position, AMD only provides drivers for Windows 10.[31] Ryzen processors are compatible with Linux; the full performance of Ryzen is enabled in kernel version 4.10 or newer.[32]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ryzen is not officially supported on Windows 7.

Microsoft does not support new CPU's on this platform. Although there may be temporary workarounds, it is not something we recommend.

RayM
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thank you.  You answer my question.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

microsoft does not support some new cpu's and some older ones either. microsoft sells windows 10 and 68% of world has this or got it free as a update. so what does microsoft sell, thats the real question. and ryzen ryzen runs great on windows 7 . i have found no reports about epyc not supported on win 7 ... hmmmmm

0 Kudos