cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

oussfakih
Adept I

do i need to apply thermal paste to my amd ryzen 5 1400 , i will be using the stock cooler

im new to this so i dont know if i need to add thermal paste , i still havent received the cpu so i dont know if any comes pre-applied or if i need to add over them if they are

0 Kudos
9 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar

Re: do i need to apply thermal paste to my amd ryzen 5 1400 , i will be using the stock cooler

you can use the stock thermal paste on it but its never recommended. its better to apply good thermal paste like artic silver. rice size drop and smooth it out even. factory paste is thick and hard dont conduct aswell. but it works.

all your really trying to do is fill in any high and low spots or scratches thats you cant see with the naked eye

oussfakih
Adept I

Re: do i need to apply thermal paste to my amd ryzen 5 1400 , i will be using the stock cooler

so should i remove that on the stock cooler before applying the paste, or a double sludge ?

0 Kudos
Earnhardt
Paragon

The stock thermal paste will be fine.

rebelyell
Exemplar

it needs removed. use rubbing alchahol to get it clean. then just use  a rice size amount of thermal paste and spread it out thin .

0 Kudos

Agreed with Earnhardt. TomsHardware did a test of 39 TIMs from high end liquid metal to toothpaste under multiple circumstances (liquid, AMD high mounting pressure for air cooling, Intel low mounting pressure for air cooling) and the difference between the best and worst traditional (non liquid metal) material under air was a whole 3 degrees. Basically all non silicone based TIM is the same, and there is absolutely no reason to replace it until it breaks down after a couple of years and hundreds of heat/cool cycles, and absolutely no reason to replace the stock TIM which comes applied to the stock heatsink.

oussfakih
Adept I

then i will be using the stock cooler and i will not apply any new thermal paste , and i'm not panning to overclock , so i should be good to go ?

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

yes you will be fine on that 1400. the only thing i recomend when using  manufacturers pre stuck on thermal paste is. when you get pc up aand running let it warm up awhile so the thermal melts in good before trying any intense benches and you will be fine. those stock cooler clamp down very tight usually for some reason so it will smash in fine.. enjoy your new ryzen

rebelyell
Exemplar

black_zion   wish they would have tested with out thermal paste aswell. i bet its better than toothpaste . heh ... im sure.. !!

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

they also should have tried anti-sieze its basically same stuff. copper or aluminum based.. probably works pretty good. ive often wonder if it isnt the same dang stuff really.

0 Kudos