cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

southernyeti
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Do I have to clean CPU if I touched the contacts?

Got a total newbie question. I just bought a Threadripper 1950x CPU. While in the process of trying to install it on my motherboard I accidentally touched the golden contacts on the underside of the CPU. If I look at the contacts in the right light I can faintly make out a slight color difference on the contacts where my fingers touched them (probably due to the oil on my fingers). My questions is do I need to clean those contacts, and if so how should I clean them safely so I don't damage the CPU. I have seen people use alcohol wipes to clean the top plate of the CPU before applying thermal paste, but I don't know if that will hurt the contacts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Do I have to clean CPU if I touched the contacts?

Intel says you can use isopropyl alcohol, 91% strongly preferred as it evaporates very quickly, so the same would apply to AMD. I'd followup with a few blasts of canned air to ensure it was completely dry before you put it in the socket. Just be sure to use a soft cloth and don't use a lot of pressure.

They also say...

vichansenn
Adept I
Adept I

Hi, I did the same mistake

but is it possible to have information from AMD, how to clean gold pins?

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't clean the pins if you touch them unless you do something dumb like eat cheese puffs before installing a CPU.

0 Kudos
vichansenn
Adept I
Adept I

Yes, but i have the same problem. I see the difference between touched pins and untouched (naturally I washed my hands). My question is: is there any documentations from AMD about how to clean pins?

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

No, you have a different problem, as Threadripper is LGA, yours is PGA, there is no need to clean the contacts if you touch them and don't impart debris on them.

0 Kudos
vichansenn
Adept I
Adept I

I have the same Threadripper 1950x.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Then you didn't touch the pins, and can follow the same instructions Intel provided.

0 Kudos
vichansenn
Adept I
Adept I

Ok, can I ask you where you found this informations? if you can post the link it will be great.

You sayed " isopropyl alcohol, 91% " its ok at 99%?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007311/server-products.html?wapkw=cleani...

To remove foreign material (FM) from the processor:

1. Grasp and hold CPU by substrate edge.
  2. Lint and other loose particulates can be removed using oil-free, low pressure compressed air (follow local safety regulations).
  3. Wet lint-free cloth with IPA and wipe package land pads lightly to remove FM:
    • Limit contact to contaminated area only.
    • Use a dabbing motion to minimize scoring and avoid spreading FM Note: All operations using IPA should be accomplished with latex gloves.
  4. Repeat with a clean cloth each time until no FM is visible(no magnification needed):
    • If cleaning attempt is unsuccessful, the CPU should not be integrated into a motherboard. In some cases, you may be able to request a warranty remedy depending on your warranty terms and conditions.
  5. If FM is Thermal Interface Material (G751) or Flux:
    • Allow package to sit for 5-10 minutes after Step 3.
    • Inspect under 10x magnification.
0 Kudos