cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Hoppimike
Journeyman III

Do AMD CPUs/GPUs have protection in them against overheating?

I'm sure many of the older members here will remember the old videos about AMD processors burning out when the heatsink was removed while the Intel ones survived.

That put me off AMD for many years but I figure that all these years later (it's been like 15 years) I should consider letting that go and actually learn about what they are like these days.

So... this problem does not exist these days, or? Do the processors throttle down and/or freeze if they get too hot?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
ryzen_type_r
Challenger

No, CPU's don't have that problem these days.  In the worst case scenario which is running the CPU without a cooler on it, the system will shut down if the absolute limit is reached.  For current gen Ryzens the thermal trip limit is 115C.

Ryzens will run as fast as possible (within set power, temp, and current limits) up to 90C (95 for 5600X), which scares people who don't understand that this is by design.  If cooling is not sufficient, the CPU will clock and volt down to keep temps from exceeding that limit.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rainingtacco
Challenger

Literally all GPU/CPUs have overheating protection since like 20 years. 

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

No, CPU's don't have that problem these days.  In the worst case scenario which is running the CPU without a cooler on it, the system will shut down if the absolute limit is reached.  For current gen Ryzens the thermal trip limit is 115C.

Ryzens will run as fast as possible (within set power, temp, and current limits) up to 90C (95 for 5600X), which scares people who don't understand that this is by design.  If cooling is not sufficient, the CPU will clock and volt down to keep temps from exceeding that limit.