cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Idris89
Journeyman III

Disabling 2 Cores on Ryzen 5 3600 Gets Me A Stable System?

Hi there,

I Have a Msi MPG Gaming Plus X570 with a Ryzen 5 3600 with a very good fan on it.
I am having problems with bluescreen and game crashes. Even programs like FL STUDIO and Adobe Premiere crashes.
Its all random. I have 2 sticks of 8GB 2133 MHz and with XMP 3200 MHz. 

I tried everything, 
New Windows 10 Install
Newest bios
Latest drivers
Latest GPU drivers
Latest Chipset drivers
DirectX drivers
Latest Audio drivers
Latest Network drivers
And still went crashing
I also ran memory tests, 0 errors !
I Tried turning of XMP, it was a little bit more stable but still crashes.
I tried disbaling PBO but I Never overclocked this thing. So my bios is all default. I Only changed it to UEFI
PBO was set to Auto. Read somewhere that Auto = disabled. I also tried enabling it. Still crashes
Then I set it back to Auto
I also tried to mess with the power plan on Windows 10. Settings to high performace. Still crashes
Default is Amd's balanced.

Then yesterday I read something here about disabling 2 cores in the BIOS
I did that and now no more crashes

I also looked at GPU & CPU temperatures. They were all good.
CPU temp is onload 55 Celsius ish (good cooler !)
GPU is around 70/75 Celsius ish onload

PSU = 700 Watts more than enough !!
Soo the problem is not heat !
The problem is not power ?

Somebody said someting about setting the CPU voltage higher while still having all cores.
is that something to try?  And if so can you help me with that? By explaining it good because in the bios settings there are a lot of modes for the cpu voltage. like offset, maximum and many more. That confuses me. I could also try it with ryzen master?
Anyhow
Can somebody help me with this?

0 Likes
3 Replies

If you disabled 2 cores and it is stable it can have something to do with heat or power. Since with 2 cores disabled there is less heat generated and less power used the system is stable.

Also possibly you have a defective Processor.

What were the BSOD errors or errors you were getting when the computer crashed?

I would use Ryzen Master to check your processor and motherboard temps and power.

Enable all cores on the Processor and then download run OCCT CPU and PSU Stress tests.

While running the CPU and PSU tests check for any abnormal Temperatures or PSU outputs (3.3/5.0/12.0v).

Also is your RAM Memory listed on either MSI Motherboard QVL List for the 3000 series processors or at the Ram

manufacturer's website as being compatible with your Ryzen and Motherboard?

Also play around with Windows Power plan and see if the system is stable with all cores enabled.

Ryzen Master should tell you if your motherboard and processors are under its maximum limits for power and temperature. At the top of Ryzen Master everything should be in green. IF you see anything in yellow or red then try playing around with Windows Power Plans which has a direct effect on those Motherboard specs at the top of Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

Well I just enabled all cores again and then I pumped up the CPU Core Voltage to 1.400 Volt.
No more crashes. Is it oke to leave it like this?

0 Likes

I can't tell you if that is fine or not.

But found this tech site concerning OC the same processor voltage to 1.4: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/21.html

Overclocking the Ryzen 5 3600 was mostly held back by temperatures. When using our typical OC voltage of 1.4 V, the CPU temperature would skyrocket above 100°C within seconds of applying a heavy load. After backing down a bit on the voltage, to 1.37 V, we reached 4.125 GHz all-core perfectly stable. Now, that frequency is of course lower than the chip's maximum boost frequency of 4.2 GHz. As our performance numbers show, the manual overclock can only shine in specific applications that fully load all cores, and even there, the differences are small.

Using a 240 mm AIO watercooler yielded another 25 MHz because we could bump up the voltage a little bit—not worth it.

I would lower the Core voltage to the way it was before and very small increments increase to the voltage until it is stable. From what I have read 1.4v should be maximum core voltage. Try 1.30 and 1.35 and see if it stays stable.

just for troubleshooting purposes, configure your core voltage back to the way it was before and change the settings in Windows Power plan.

For instance for Maximum and Minimum CPU States try 99% and 5% and see if that stabilizes your PC.

You can also disable PBO in BIOS and see if that stabilizes the PC.

0 Likes