cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thiron
Adept I

Defective product. Horrendous customer service.

Hi,

Just 2 weeks ago, I ordered an Ryzen 9 5950X with "AMD Direct Buy", from amd.com/Digital River.

For over 15 years of building computers, I have only used Intel processors. Until now. I decided the 5950X was a worthy reason of switching. And I immediately regretted it.

Upon receiving the package, I opened it so I can install it. Upon first inspection of the CPU, before I make any attempt to install it anywhere, I observe it has few bent pins, some badly bent that it's making contact with neighboring pins. I put it back in the box and decided that I will not touch this. If I tried to fix it myself, chances are I will make it worse (maybe even break a pin), and void any warranty it has.

I decided to immediately contact AMD support so I get a refund or at the very least have it replaced.

You'd think for a 800$ USD flagship CPU, you'd get a CPU that is not defective on arrival.

AMD Support is very slow at responding. I get a response once every 24-28 hours, even when I immediately respond back.

These are my interactions with AMD Support so far:

1) They push back on anything you ask. They don't even try to help you, they just try to make AMD non-responsible for whatever your problem is.

2) They asked for proof (pictures) and I sent them. Even then, they refuse to issue a refund, citing a policy that refund is only for non-opened boxes. Really? How are we supposed to know the CPU is defective without actually opening the box? How does the refund policy not cover defective products?! Just shocking.

3) Even with denying refund, the support agent asked me to "fix it yourself". In other words, try to bend them back yourself. And if you can't, go find a technician who can. Yes. Because in AMD's world, shipping a defective CPU to a customer is the customer's problem and it is the customer's responsibility to fix. I have never seen this level of carelessness.

4) I have yet to get an approval for a replacement unit, despite my strong insistence with the agent.

It is shocking that a company like AMD is resorting to egregious and shady consumer practices, to get away with shipping subpar products, and absolutely horrendous customer support. Quite literally, once they get your money, they do not care whatsoever what happens afterwards. There was no moment in my days of interacting with customer support, that I felt the agent actually wanted to help me. It was nothing but pushbacks and an attitude of "that's on you, not us".

I am giving that agent a day or two to issue me at least a replacement unit, or else I will have no choice but to go the chargeback route. I feel I am getting bullied into anti consumer practices.

Question to the community: Have you faced a similar horrific experience with AMD? I'd be curious to know.

Thanks and have a good day.

0 Likes
9 Replies

before you opened the AMD Retail box did you notice any damage to the outside of the shipping carton?

Once you opened the AMD box and noticed the bent pins from inside the plastic clam shell you should have taken photos of it without opening it and not even touching the CPU.

If AMD believes you tried to repair the bent pins then they will believe you were at fault for bending the pins in the first place. 

Since this came directly from AMD Store they should replace it once you show proof that the CPU pins came bent from the factory.

Take photos of the box it should show some sort of damage unless the CPU was already damaged before being boxed at the factory in its plastic clam shell.

AMD Warranty is automatically voided if the CPU has bent or broken pins (Customer Error) unless you received it like that from the Retailer which in this case is AMD.

Possibly AMD believes you bent the pins and now are trying to get a replacement under Warranty. Just my guess.

Seems like the burden of proof is going to be on you that the CPU came damaged already from AMD directly.

I feel sorry for you. You are in a tough spot if the AMD Retail box doesn't show any physical damage from being shipped to your residence.

Maybe one of the Moderators can inquire for you or point you to someone that can be more helpful in your case.

It's hard to see through the clam shell. But the first thing I did when I opened the clam shell was inspect the CPU. And I immediately realized the bent pins, and I put the CPU back in the clam shell and did not touch it. I did not want to make things worse by mishandling it.

I explained all of this clearly to the agent. I took photos of the bent pins and showed them clearly.

As for the external packaging, no it did not arrive damaged. This is clearly a manufacturing defect, and it happens. What do I have to do? Smash the box myself to desperately try to prove I received it smashed? It's insane that I have to resort to such things. I have been honest all along, and to get my due consumer rights I have to go the dishonest way? I won't stoop to that.

AMD shipped me a CPU with manufacturing defects, and it happens. If they don't want to believe me, there's nothing I can do that can without-any-doubt that this is a manufacturing defect. I never mishandled the CPU. It arrived like that. And they're trying to evade responsibility.

What's worse? They're asking me to attempt to fix it myself. This is a deliberate attempt to make me void my own warranty. What happens if I accidentally break a pin or start bending neighboring pins? And let's face, this is very likely. AMD will just say "ah too bad, you broke it". For that reason, I will not make any attempt to fix anything. This is not on me to fix.

I just wish I bought it from NewEgg or Amazon or literally any other online retailer. Any of these retailers would have treated me better and would have replaced it for me. At this point, I'm at the mercy of AMD.

Thanks for responding though @elstaci 

I  wasn't insinuating that you damage the shipping box to prove the CPU was damaged while being shipped. That would be wrong and dishonest. Besides I am sure the Shipping company will dispute that the box was damaged when shipped to your residence.

That would give AMD the impression that you are trying to cover a CPU damaged by you which would make the situation worse.

It is hard to believe that some official from AMD would tell you to unbend bent pins after being told that it came damaged from AMD directly.

That agent gave you some really bad advice unless he thought you were talking about one or two slightly bent pins. But that is  besides the point. AMD shipped a defective product and it not up to the Customer to try an repair the product if it is under Warranty or was DOA from the manufacturer.

Your are right. If you followed that advice and you broke one or more pins that would automatically void the AMD Warranty. If the pins were bent as badly as you indicated there is a greater chance that a pin will break off while being straightened. If the pins were just slight bent then it is a different story especially if it is just 1-3 pins only.

Besides most Users are inexperienced in straightening out bent CPU pins which are quite delicate and no Customer should need to spend money for a Computer Shop to repair a DOA product which is another reason why it was bad advice from AMD agent.

Another User here at AMD Forums had a similar problem with a CPU that arrived with bent pins. But in his case he was able to see the bent pins from the clear plastic clam shell. Plus the AMD Retail box was damaged on one corner. He took photos of the damaged CPU in the clear Plastic Clam Shell plus the damaged AMD Retail box and turned it in to AMD which finally replaced it under Warranty.

Normally I tend to defend AMD but in this case, if everything you said is factual, AMD is clearly at fault and sent you a DOA product. Most major Retailers would have replaced/refund your product once you gave them all the information they needed.

I am not sure how CPUs are packaged at the factory. If it is done automatically by machines or by hand when inserted into its protective clam shell. But obviously the CPU was either dropped before being packaged or it was damaged during the manufacturing process.

There is another possibly where someone replaced the good CPU with a damaged  one before being shipped from the factory. The AMD Retail box comes sealed with a white label with the CPU S/N and P/N on it on one of the flaps. IF the seal looked like it had been tampered with would be a good indication that someone opened the AMD box.

@thiron  hopefully your case will be escalated by AMD.

I can see AMD view in all this also. You have to realize many Users have tried to scam AMD into replacing or upgrading hardware that they themself have damaged.

So basically it will be your word against AMD and any proof you have to support your claim in a honest way.  But I would think AMD would replace it, at least, as a good Customer Service gesture under Warranty. 

anyways, Good  Luck. Keep me updated whether it turns out good or bad so that other Users will learn what to do if they find themselves in a similar situation in the future.

OP if they won't help you contact your CC and dispute the charge.

Thank you everyone. Will keep you posted if there's any update. I was kinda hoping someone from AMD would chime in, but alas. Will keep waiting/hoping.

Update: They finally accepted to issue me a replacement. Nice.

Qs:

1) If anyone has experience with replacement RMAs, do you know how long they usually take when they receive the defective CPU before shipping the replacement?

2) Do they ship a refurbished unit? Or a "new" one?

Thanks.

1: The whole returns process took just over 2 weeks for me (UK to Netherlands and back to the UK).

Once my CPU arrived at the test center, it was tested the same day and a replacement was shipped out the following day, taking around 4 or 5 days to get back to me.

2: The replacement I received was a new CPU, at least I assume it was, judging from the date stamp on the CPU

@zombypcThanks

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @thiron 

This is very sad to hear and I really hope AMD will help you resolve the issue.

Maybe @Ray_AMD can refer you to the correct people to contact regarding this issue, and I believe you that in came like this in the packaging, because I remember this happening to one of my friends when the Ryzen 5 1600 was new, he also received it with bent pins, but he was brave enough to bend them back with the help of his cousin.

I would not suggest doing this though, and really hope AMD can first help you get a replacement.

Kind regards