cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

demicore
Adept I

Dark gray dots on brand new sealed CPU (Ryzen 5 1600)

Hi!

Just bought a brand new sealed Ryzen 5 1600 and it has these little dark dots on it (see attached picture).

Is it normal or should I worry?

I haven't installed the CPU yet; it might well work fine; I just don't want to use a CPU that has been tampered with.

Cheers, thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Another User also posted a similar question on his Ryzen CPU that had fairly large faint stains. But he mentioned it worked normally without any issues but was concerned it may have been a used CPU he received. Many mentioned some stains can be cleaned using Isopropyl Alcohol gently.

After googling several Forums, Most Users mentioned the stains were probably a byproduct during the manufacturing of the CPU and to ignore it unless the CPU was not working correctly.

If you still are concerned, you can always open an Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and show them the photos and see what they say. My best guess would be it is harmless unless you notice actual physical damage like bent or missing pins or dents where it shouldn't be, etc.

Here is the link to AMD WARRANTY REQUEST if interested: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

demicore, I do not know.  If you think it is a problem, please contact your seller or AMD (AMD Online Support).  Good luck, John.

0 Likes

Another User also posted a similar question on his Ryzen CPU that had fairly large faint stains. But he mentioned it worked normally without any issues but was concerned it may have been a used CPU he received. Many mentioned some stains can be cleaned using Isopropyl Alcohol gently.

After googling several Forums, Most Users mentioned the stains were probably a byproduct during the manufacturing of the CPU and to ignore it unless the CPU was not working correctly.

If you still are concerned, you can always open an Online AMD WARRANTY REQUEST and show them the photos and see what they say. My best guess would be it is harmless unless you notice actual physical damage like bent or missing pins or dents where it shouldn't be, etc.

Here is the link to AMD WARRANTY REQUEST if interested: AMD Warranty Request Form | AMD 

Thanks

Yea the CPU works perfectly, but still I'll send the picture to AMD. I'd love to see what they have to say about this, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

I will post here once I have an answer from them.

0 Likes

It's normal and nothing to worry about. 

0 Likes

Seriously it's a cosmetic issue BUT AMD should not sell such stained products in the first place coz it shows a "stained" product quality attitude towards the consumer/buyer!

my 2 cents

0 Likes

if the CPU POSTs do not worry about it, could be the CPU was returned as it would not boot on an previous users motherboard

my board can update the BIOS with no processor installed

0 Likes
demicore
Adept I

Thanks matt.

Just to keep my promise, here's what AMD support replied to my request sent via this contact form Online Service Request | AMD . They responded very quickly -I just wasn't available to post this sooner:

"Thank you for the email. 

I understand your concern regarding the marking on the CPU lid. Please note that these are imprints and It could be occurred in the manufacturing process.  The imprints will not affect the functionality and performance of the processor. 

These marks do not have any adverse effect on the performance of the CPU.

If you encounter any technical issue in future, please feel free to get back to us. 

Thank you for contacting AMD."

Well, at least, I have the satisfaction of knowing I gave you the "Correct" answer in my previous post before someone else took credit for it.

"After googling several Forums, Most Users mentioned the stains were probably a byproduct during the manufacturing of the CPU and to ignore it unless the CPU was not working correctly."

0 Likes

Yea sorry about that, I'm not the one who marked matt's reply as "correct". I imagine he did that himself with mod powers. I have now rectified it

0 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate what you did. At least you have some integrity.