cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AaronR1074
Journeyman III

Cyberpower Pre-build. Can you check my Ryzen 3700X temps?

Hi all.  About a month ago I scored myself a Cyberpower prebuild from Best Buy.  Actual model page with specs are here.  

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory...

I've heard mixed reviews from this company and bad ones from Tech Support, so I figured I'd ask you guys if you think these are normal temps.  When I was playing graphic intensive games like Call of Duty Cold War, Cyberpunk, Elder Scrolls Online the cpu can go up to as high as 85cs then shoot back down to 70cs like it's being throttled and self adjusting.  I was wondering if this was normal behavior for this chip on a build like this?  I have since changed to Balanced Power settings in windows 10 and turned off Power Boost in the bios.  Quick run on a Cold War map and I've gone up to 82cs which is a little better but not much.  So far I have NOT reached the max Ryzen Master temps of 90cs which is OK, but I just don't want to fry the CPU.  Diablo 3 it hovers around 60cs so it's definitely with graphic intensive games.  I've tried tweaking settings from Ultra to High to Medium and turning off ray tracing and it doesn't make much of a difference aside from dropping V-Ram usage and making games look uglier.  

Here's a pic of my build so if you can check to see if the stock fans are facing in the right direction, etc.  It's a nice clean build which really impresses me out of the box.  I know there are 2 different types of ram but I made sure the ram voltage was the same and they are both at 3000 speed so everything has been smooth as ice.  No crashes at all.  Just the temps make me a bit nervous when I'm sitting here with the thing under my desk and it makes my leg sweaty.  

Screenshot 2021-03-16 095439.png

0 Likes
6 Replies
AaronR1074
Journeyman III

I just wanted to add that I've added 3 fans to the top for exhaust and the RGB strips came with them lol.   

0 Likes

Watch the Gamers Nexus vid on YouTube @ the URL below. They encountered some problems with a Cyberpower prebuilt that's somewhat similar to yours, but slightly cheaper. It has the same CPU as yours. You don't have some of the problems that they found, but you do have the same CPU cooling problem they found, in spite of the fact that you have a CPU AIO "water cooler" (they don't). Your CPU cooling problem may or may not be quite as bad as in the vid, but you're likely not hammering the CPU/vid card as hard they are. So the airflow in the 2 systems may be designed equally badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRlCtp_q1YM

The mobo in the Gamers Nexus vid is actually a bit cheaper than yours, but surprisingly is ever so slightly more advanced than yours. I believe that you have an B450 mobo, maybe an ASRock. They change these mobos at will and you might have gotten a B550.

It looks like the source of the cooling problem is the same in the 2 systems. You have 2 RGB fans behind a plexiglass front panel. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? In place of that plexiglass your system desperately needs metal mesh screen there that allows air to flow in. Gamers Nexus calls this a "choked case" situation. Your PC case is creating a sauna. Bummer.

I believe the the PC case in the vid has a sheet of steel instead of the plexiglass that you have.

The effect on the CPUs is the same in the vid & in your case. The CPU thermal throttles itself down about 10% because everything is just CRAZY hot. This is shown in the vid from 10:00 to 11:50.

The loss of CPU speed can be lived with, but it reflects very badly on CyberPowerPC (hand covers face). That the temps of your CPU and vid card are crazy high ... that cannot be lived with.

Try this and see if it helps your thermal problem ... take the side panel of the case off (maybe even both sides). If you happen to have a box fan, plug it in and point the box fan at the mobo/CPU.

We'll see how much that 1st approximation / work around helps.

HaHaHa. I found someone who has already done this work around and the temp lowered 20 degrees. See the Reddit thread below. The user is dokugami.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/l1h39n/prebuilt_cyberpowerpc_gamer_supreme_gaming/?s...

Can you take the front panel off of the case? That could help even more.

0 Likes

GM,

While I appreciate your feedback, I can't believe that removing the panels and blowing a fan in there are the only solution to my problem, asside from getting a whole new case.  Do you think it could just be that my front fans are facing the wrong way?

Yes, it's the Asrock B450M/ac.  It's a micro MB.  My vid card is so  huge it takes up the only other PCI slot on it so I can't upgrade it all lol.  Aside from the airflow design of the case, do you see the heat being a huge problem with the CPU or am I basically still safe to play games?  I mean I plan on playing the new Forza and Elder Scrolls games when they came out lol.  This rig runs very smooth regardless and has taken pretty much everything I've thrown at it.  Except maybe Flight Sim.  I haven't tried that yet.  I've tried most of the big Game Pass games though.  

0 Likes

Hi Aaron -

I suspect that you haven't followed/read/viewed the Reddit page and YT video that I linked to. Watch the entire 29 minute vid. That guy with the CRAZY hair is one of the top tech experts anywhere. ANYWHERE.

The other guy in the Reddit thread who has your exact machine said of simply taking the main side panel off (no box fan) that it was "Not ideal for dust but it lowered temps by at least 20 degrees Celsius."

I doubt that your "front fans are facing the wrong way." Check that yourself. What I suspect you will find is that the front fans are moving very little air because they have nowhere to draw the air from.

Your case has your CPU and vid card in a choke hold. If you leave things the way they are those components are going to have overheating problems. They are getting very little air flow ... in spite of the fact that you've "added 3 fans to the top." It's the air inflow into the case that is the problem.

This is dealt with in the video from 13:15 to 14:10. Steve, the reviewer with the crazy hair, says "your air is technically there" while pointing to where that case has vent holes that aren't nearly close enough or positioned correctly for the front fans that that case has. The vent holes MUST be in front of the fans, else you get no air flow.

Not being able to closely inspect your case I'm gonna say that I suspect that the best solution for you would be to take your front panel off and DIY an air inflow solution.

That solution could be any of:
- leave the front panel off ... assuming you can get it off
- take the front panel off and replace with a simple DIY metal screen with magnets
- remove the plexiglass from the front panel (with "tools of destruction")
- remove the plexiglass from the front panel and replace with fine metal screen

The "DIY screen with magnets" solution is actually not tough to do and if you get nice looking screen could actually look quite decent. You could spray paint the screen and magnets glossy white. That would look cool for your case.

That last one ("plexiglass ... replace with fine metal screen") is what you would REALLY like.

I'm sorry, but your gonna have to DIY this solution.

If you live in a large metropolis you might be able to find a case modder that can do that plexiglass to screen replacement for you.

Again, your problem is air inflow. You have almost none of it. I'm sorry about that, but that is the situation.

- Pete (I've been messsing with computer hardware since the '80s.)

0 Likes

I'm not going to add much value with my "2cents post" here.

But a 120mm AIO just doesn't seem adequate for that build. I would have a 240/280 or even 360 AIO on top if possible.

Can you share a picture of the case? If it is like the one in the Steve's video, front fans for intake are doing very little.

Try putting the AIO on the top drawing fresh air, maybe.. also putting the fans on top to intake as well. Not perfect as hot air will have the tendency to go up, but you won't loose nothing but time with this test.

I'm wouldn't be comfortable with those temps, 65ºC is already VERY red line for my 2700X in gaming. (for me of course).

The Englishman
0 Likes

Here ya go man.  The other side doesn't really add much to it.  It's just flat with no air.  I don't really have much to add at this point either.  Just that I'm not the only one reviewing this PC as hot.  I've been told by my PC building friends that these 3700X chips naturally run hot and I shouldn't have much to worry about as long as it doesn't go past 90cs.  I'm a bit paranoid though just because I plan to get a g-synch monitor and I'm not sure how this build can handle those resolutions lol.  Maybe tomorrow I'll start flipping fans around again and see what happens.   Also don't give me any guff about cable management.  I'm moving and this desk is over 20 years old.  It will all be taken care of eventually lol  The big white HDMI cable used to be in my home theater and I know it doesn't belong there.  I needed something from HDMI2 out to the TV.

PC01.pngPC02.pngPC03.pngPC04.png

0 Likes