cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RogerX
Adept I

CPU upgrade

Hi, I have a Lenovo desktop with Ryzen 5 2400G  4 core with a AMD B300 chipset. I would like to upgrade to a six or eight core. Can I upgrade to a  Ryzen 5 1600 or a Ryzen 7 1700?  How can I found out which CPU is compatible? Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have had the GTX 1050ti graphics card installed and 32 GB ram everything seems to work ok.

My conclusion is, Lenovo supply computers with a 75w GPU and a 65w CPU and a 210w power supply. The GPU and CPU equal 140W this leaves 70w to supply everything else. For this computer Lenovo must think this is adequate.

On the other hand GPU manufacturers have to allow for different specs of computers, for example someone with a Ryzen 7 3800xt uses 105w for the CPU so with the GPU and CPU this equals 180w and some computers have bigger and more fans consuming more power.  GPU manufacturers have to account for all situations and be cautious when recommending things.

This is just my theory, so for my computer I am happy for the upgrade but I will be keeping an eye on how my computer performs.

View solution in original post

11 Replies