cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RogerX
Adept I

CPU upgrade

Hi, I have a Lenovo desktop with Ryzen 5 2400G  4 core with a AMD B300 chipset. I would like to upgrade to a six or eight core. Can I upgrade to a  Ryzen 5 1600 or a Ryzen 7 1700?  How can I found out which CPU is compatible? Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have had the GTX 1050ti graphics card installed and 32 GB ram everything seems to work ok.

My conclusion is, Lenovo supply computers with a 75w GPU and a 65w CPU and a 210w power supply. The GPU and CPU equal 140W this leaves 70w to supply everything else. For this computer Lenovo must think this is adequate.

On the other hand GPU manufacturers have to allow for different specs of computers, for example someone with a Ryzen 7 3800xt uses 105w for the CPU so with the GPU and CPU this equals 180w and some computers have bigger and more fans consuming more power.  GPU manufacturers have to account for all situations and be cautious when recommending things.

This is just my theory, so for my computer I am happy for the upgrade but I will be keeping an eye on how my computer performs.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Both those CPUs should be compatible. Go to the support page on your motherboard manufacturers website. They will have a list of what CPUs are compatible with the different bios versions. 

Hi thanks for the reply. My motherboard is a Lenovo 36EE SDK0J40 but the’re not giving out any info on this that I can find. I did find this,

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaCentre/ideacentre_510A_15ARR/ideacentre_510A_15ARR_Spec...      It’s the specs for different models, the highest spec is the ryzen 5 3400G, do you think this is the limit that I can upgrade to?

I also found this,

https://www.cpu-world.com/Related_CPUs/Socket%20AM4_Zen.html

Listing  CPU’s for that socket but no bios info, do you think any of these CPU’s will work? Thanks

0 Likes

Hi, sorry just seen your second reply. My computer is a Lenovo Ideacentre 510A-15ARR all the details are in the previous post. Thanks

0 Likes

You can have a AM4 Socket on a motherboard that any Ryzen AMD Processor will easily install and fit in.

BUT if you don't have a BIOS that recognizes and supports that Ryzen processor it won't boot up since it won't recognize the processor installed in it AM4 socket.

That is why you need to go the motherboard's CPU Support list to find out which processor it will support via BIOS update.

Went to Lenovo Support found the Lenovo Support Driver Download page for your PC: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/500-series/510a-15abr/downloads...

Since you have a OEM Lenovo Motherboard you need to ask Lenovo Support to find out which processor that lenovo Motherboard supports in your PC.

EDIT: Found your answer at Lenovo Forums concerning a similar but different PC: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-All-In-One-AIO-Desktops/Lenovo-520-24arr-CPU-upgrade/m-p/4612652...

Screenshot 2020-12-10 172206.png

So the link you posted seems to show which processors your motherboard supports:

Screenshot 2020-12-10 172412.png

So it does seem to support the Ryzen 3200G/3400G processors. But I would still contact Lenovo Support and validate to make sure your current BIOS version will support those processors if you install it in your PC.

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I think you have been very prompt and professional.

Hi, I did click on the thumbs up button and the kudos, but nothing seems to have happened.

0 Likes

Make sure you are logged in otherwise it won't work.

If you are logged in, could be just a glitch in the AMD Format which is very new.

NOTE: you have a very weak PSU (either a 180 Watt or 210 Watt) in your PC. It is adequate enough without a GPU Card installed and to run Integrated Graphics.

but if decide to purchase and upgrade from your integrated Graphics to a separate GPU Card you will need to replace your PSU with a much stronger PSU depending on the GPU card you might purchase in the future.

EDIT: If you decide to upgrade to a 3000 series APU make sure to ask Lenovo Support if the RAM Memory you now have installed is compatible with those new AMD APUs.

Hi, my power supply is 210w. On the specs page under the list of CPU’s which you circled is a graphics section, this shows some of these models had a AMD RX 560 graphics card. This card is 60-80w but AMD  recommend 450w PSU. However under Lenovo’s specs some of these computer models were supplied with only 210w supplies, well under AMD’s recommendation. What's going on?

I have bought a low profile GTX 1050 ti card because the specs are similar to the RX 560 75w they recommend 300w PSU. I thought if a computer came from Lenovo with this PSU and these specs it must work, a friend is going to fit it tomorrow so I’ll find out.

I’ll get back to you tomorrow and let you know what happens.

If you upgrade to a 3000 series APU plus install a separate GPU card it is possible under heavy loads your PSU might not be able to supply enough power to the GPU card. For normal computing like surfing the Net it is probably adequate.

With the APU you now have and a GTX 1050Ti according to this website (http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm)  that recommends the minimum PSU wattage for various GPU cards it needs a PSU of 320 Watts.

Anyways before upgrading the PSU see if you have any Power symptoms when running your GPU or APU under heavy loads or stress.

EDIT: If you noticed there are no PSU less than 300 Watts in that extensive list for various GPU Cards in the link I provided.

0 Likes

I have had the GTX 1050ti graphics card installed and 32 GB ram everything seems to work ok.

My conclusion is, Lenovo supply computers with a 75w GPU and a 65w CPU and a 210w power supply. The GPU and CPU equal 140W this leaves 70w to supply everything else. For this computer Lenovo must think this is adequate.

On the other hand GPU manufacturers have to allow for different specs of computers, for example someone with a Ryzen 7 3800xt uses 105w for the CPU so with the GPU and CPU this equals 180w and some computers have bigger and more fans consuming more power.  GPU manufacturers have to account for all situations and be cautious when recommending things.

This is just my theory, so for my computer I am happy for the upgrade but I will be keeping an eye on how my computer performs.

download a free software called SPECCY and find out if you have an OEM Lenovo Motherboard or a Non-Lenovo motherboard.

Speccy will show most of the Make & model of your Hardware and software installed or the Specs of your hardware. But it should show the Make & Model of your Motherboard in your Lenovo PC.

If it a Non-Lenovo Motherboard (Gigabtye, MSI, Asus, etc)  you can google the motherboard Make and Model and find its CPU SUPPORT List to find out which CPUs it supports and which BIOS version you need to have installed.

If it is a OEM Lenovo Motherboard you will need to see if Lenovo has a upgrade list for your PC.  If not then you would need to open a Lenovo Support ticket and ask them which CPUs it supports and which BIOS version you need to install to support the new CPU upgrade.

Note: If you can post the exact Make & Model of your Lenovo PC and Motherboard installed I might be able to help you find it in case you have a hard time locating that information.

0 Likes