cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

scroam
Journeyman III

cpu temperatures

i bought a ryzen 5 2600 and I'm using the stock cooler and running stock speed, not over clocking the cpu..  When running prime95, the cpu temperature never stops rising and I stop the testing after a minute or so due to cpu temperature reaching the upper 80's degrees C.  Would you expect the temperature to stop rising at some point?

When idle the cpu temperature is around 30 degress c and therefore I think the paste is adhering to the chip..  When I start an application the temperature quickly rises to around 45 degrees C, which is where it's pretty much stays during normal usage which is typically a light load.

The fact that prime95 causes the chip to heat up so much is a little worrisome.  Comments?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
scroam
Journeyman III

I found the problem.  I have my ryzen 5 2600 in an Asrock x470 master sli/ac motherboard.  In the BIOS, I  had the fan to monitor cpu, changed it to monitor TCTRL.  Now the fan ramps up based on CPU temperature.  Now the max temperature after 20 minutes of prime95 using small FFT's is 86 degress C which I think is good for a stock cooler well under the 95 degrees C max. 

My everyday use will not max out the cores like the prime95 test.  I'm very happy now and have changed all my rating for the cpu and motherboard to 5 stars out of 5 on newegg.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Prime95 is a power virus, it's intended to not make the CPU's temp stop rising, and when you are using the stock cooler it's going to get high. But still, it's not a problem, Ryzen processors have a Tmax of 91*C.

black_zion, what is a "power virus"?

I have a 1950X with the following:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming, Threadripper 1950X, 2xSamsung SSD 960 EVO RAID, 1TB &

500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Windows 10 x64 Pro,

Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.0

I have run Prime95 plus a little HyperPI without my temperatures getting too high.  I still do not like the temperatures - 70-85C. but they certainty stop climbing.  The big question is what does it all mean?  The CPU Diode never gets over 58C.

Please provide the AMD reference for your 91C specification.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

A power virus is a program which pushes components beyond anything that could be considered normal use. Prime95, Furmark, OCCT, MSI Kombustor, Intel Burn Test, all are power viruses.

Thanks, black_zion.  Please provide a reference to an AMD document that explains the 91C limit and defines how it is measured.  Are they talking CPU temperature or CPU Diode temperature?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The CPU Diode thermal maximum is 91*C on Ryzen desktop processors.

Max temp 95c is listed on the official product page for the Ryzen 5 2600 and it is 85c for the Ryzen 5 2700x. I have tested this on several motherboards and CPU combinations, both 1st gen and 2nd gen Ryzen. My motherboards are Asus B350/X370 so mileage may vary but I get thermal shutdowns at ~90c on T-die with all my configurations.  I do this with overclocks using stock coolers testing Prime95.

Thanks, seahawkshunt. On my processor's (1950X) specification page, here, it list "Max Temps = 68°C".  The obvious question is what does this mean?  I assume it means CPU Diode temperature, but who knows.  AMD has really shot themselves in the foot on this subject.  Some internal temperature has 20 C added for some unexplained reason and I have never understood.  What does T-die temperature mean with respect to CPU and CPU Diode temperature?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

scroam
Journeyman III

I found the problem.  I have my ryzen 5 2600 in an Asrock x470 master sli/ac motherboard.  In the BIOS, I  had the fan to monitor cpu, changed it to monitor TCTRL.  Now the fan ramps up based on CPU temperature.  Now the max temperature after 20 minutes of prime95 using small FFT's is 86 degress C which I think is good for a stock cooler well under the 95 degrees C max. 

My everyday use will not max out the cores like the prime95 test.  I'm very happy now and have changed all my rating for the cpu and motherboard to 5 stars out of 5 on newegg.