Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

giboune
Adept I

CPU temperature

Hello,

I got a Rysen 9 5950x and I find it too hot. In rest his temperature is around 45°C, while I do nothing with my computer.

When I start it the CPU is already at 45°C. 

Is it normal, I saw some reviews who say what the temperature in rest must be around 32°C.

My cooler is a Noctua Nh-U14S.

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 Replies
fyrel
Miniboss

Most reviews that I have seen are using water cooling and have 20C ambient temperature. Absolute temperature isn't really relevant until you hit temperature max.

What temperatures do you hit when the CPU is under heavy load?

0 Likes

When I am playing I am usually around 65/70°C.

In one game I reach 82°C.

Can I continue to play with this ?

Thank you.

0 Likes

@giboune wrote:

When I am playing I am usually around 65/70°C.

In one game I reach 82°C.

Can I continue to play with this ?

Thank you.

Those temperatures are perfectly fine, well within spec.

Just as an extra reassurance, the worst that will happen when a CPU gets too hot is it will throttle performance and then shut down. Your not going to break it even if the cooling wasn't doing the job.

According to this website the Maximum Operating Temperature for your processor is 95C before it starts to throttle to lower the temperature: https://askgeek.io/en/cpus/AMD/Ryzen-9-5950X

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X processor review

Ryzen 9 5950X processor released by AMD; release date: 5 Nov 2020. At the time of release, the processor cost $799. The processor is designed for desktop-computers and based on Zen 3 microarchitecture.

CPU is unlocked for overclocking. Total number of cores - 12, threads - 24. Maximum CPU clock speed - 4.9 GHz. Maximum operating temperature - 95 °C. Manufacturing process technology - 7 nm. Cache size: L1 - 1 MB, L2 - 8 MB, L3 - 64 MB.

Supported memory types: DDR4-3200. Maximum memory size: 128 GB.

Supported socket types: AM4. Power consumption (TDP): 105 Watt.

If your processor is running around 85C max under heavy loads or stress or lower it is within specs.

Unless the processor is running above 80C most of the time then you might consider getting a Liquid CPU Cooler.

I agree with the others, that your temps are just fine. You have the hottest running Ryzen chip made. Your temps are fine at load and at idle. 

If you wan't to improve it a little bit some high end thermal compound if not used already might help a tiny bit.

For a bigger change you might investigate more incoming and outgoing air if you can add a couple fans.

However i promise you, your temps are well within normal if you did nothing else.