Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ricky1973
Journeyman III

CPU temperature of FX-670K (A8/A10)

Jump to solution

Hallo,

I own a HP pc with the mentioned CPU aboard since april 2014.

Yesterday I installed Speccy, a tool from Piriform, just to get a lot of information at once about my system... I immediately noticed that the CPU temperature varies (making normal operations such as opening folders or using Firefox for internet, etc) from 54° up tu 94°. It looks really too much... I also tried to install another tool to have a comparison, so I ran the HWinfo64 program and the information I got are the same. Please also note that the temperatures of GPU and Motherboard are very lower (34°-37°).

I even opened the case to check if the cooler of the CPU should not have been working, but the fan is ok; I also removed the small quantity of dust but the temperature matter remains the same.

So, what can be the problem? A defect of the CPU? I don't think it can be a problem of old thermal paste, since the pc is very recent.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: CPU temperature of  FX-670K (A8/A10)

Jump to solution

It's HP, don't discount them, like other OEMs, using components which are barely sufficient. But now you know it's a faulty thermal sensor, so you can just ignore it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: CPU temperature of FX-670K (A8/A10)

Jump to solution

That does look very high. Is the stock cooler definitely fitted correctly and securely? It's not normal for temperatures to be that high. I would look to refit the cooler and ensure that it's securely fitted to the motherboard and it does not move about when pushed. Failing that i would look to buy a new cooler to bring those temperatures down.

Jump to solution

Are you reading the core temperature under CPU -> Core and not the CPU socket temperature on the main screen?

0 Likes
ricky1973
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

speccy.jpg

Hallo,

thanks guys for your replies. I hope this image can help (even if it's in italian).

The cooler fan seems to work properly (as above, it's running 2164 rpm).

I also contacted the HP technical service by phone... they say that for this processor it's normal (?!) to reache these temperatures. This looks strange. I cannot even substitute on my own the cooler fan becasue the pc is recent and I should have problems with the warranty.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It's a 65w processor so unless the cooler is from 2001 it should not reach those temperatures. It's also a custom OEM only processor for HP. Either the thermal sensor is incorrect, which is highly probable as non mobile AMD processors don't like temps over 60°C, and is easy to test by opening the case and touching the heatsink. If it's really running at 71°C, you won't be able to touch it for more than a microsecond.

0 Likes
ricky1973
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

heatsink.jpg

If the heatsink is the cricular metal grid (as indicated by the arrow) under the cooling fan, if i touch it, it's not even tepid...  it's just room temperature.

By the way I bought this pc in 2014, I think it's impossible they still use 2001 components.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It's HP, don't discount them, like other OEMs, using components which are barely sufficient. But now you know it's a faulty thermal sensor, so you can just ignore it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ricky1973
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Well, I think I can now be a little more calm since it seems it's a false alarm...

thanks for your help!

0 Likes