cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

WindxwsXP
Adept I

CPU Temperature near limit without any programms running.

For 3 weeks now out of nowhere my Ryzen 5 2600X started sitting at a temperature of 95°C without any programms running at all, my CPU utilization is at around 8%, I have nothing opened except my Desktop and still, the processor is running so hot.

As I said, this just happened out of nowhere, thermal paste shouldn't be that old yet, the PC in total is only around 2.5 years old or something around that so I think it should still be fine right?

When trying to lower the clock speed and voltage I cant even do that, as soon as I try to apply the changes (I use Ryzen Master for that) my PC crashes instantly. I have no custom clock speeds, just the default for everything.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem or at least have a suggestion how I can lower the temps to "only" 60°C or something?

About cooling: I use a 240mm AIO Cooling by Enermax, worked well so far until now.

0 Likes
1 Solution
WindxwsXP
Adept I

Well, one week passed and I can tell you what happened: Seems like the pump of my old AIO just died, I ordered a new one, fitted that one just now, 30°C when I am on my Desktop, thats how it should be. So yeah, just a broken pump and thats it. Thanks for everyone that answered here, you also helped a lot

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Valkyr-24
Journeyman III

Maybe, I really insist maybe : take a look at the "Power settings" in Windows, you should be on "Favorite mode : AMD Ryzen Balanced" but this mode is set to 95% minimum efficiency.

If it is so, just go to the mode settings and then set the minimum to what you wish, I would recommand something like 20-25%, and give it a try. Lower it if it reveals effective to solve your problem.

ryzen_type_r
Challenger

Does it do it in the BIOS screen?  If so, there's something wrong with your cooling system.

0 Likes

I am pretty sure there is something wrong now, temps peak at around 70°C when in the BIOS

0 Likes

Hello,

Where's the radiator mounted in comparison to the water block? Have you rotated or tilted your case to see if any air might have gotten trapped in the block? Can never hurt to reseat the water block, or give it a tap as it might have just gotten stuck. i.e. cavitation 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

I mounted the radiator over the waterblock so on the upside of my case, I havent tried tilting my pc yet, I can do that and update you again

Update: Tilting and flipping did not solve the problem sadly so I think it might actually be the pump that had gone bad or something like that but still not sure

0 Likes

Hello,

Wow, unfortunate as it sounds like you will need to contact either your seller or the manufacturer to start the RMA process. Most should go fairly easy. I consider myself lucky as my ancient H80 still functions and it was supposedly a refurb unit, and it was in pristine condition back then. I will say that I did replace it with a Cooler Master 212 EVO as I was concerned with it's age.

Considering my old retired FX-8350 with 32G DDR3 @ 1600 and the H80 will be shipped to my brother as it will get Win 10 installed on it as Win 10 will be supported for a number of years yet. It'll be great for the nephews to play some games. Though I am loath to send my R9 390 as I should keep it for diagnostic purposes, and back up should my RX5700 have an issue.

As I am want to say, I will not switch to Win 11 for at least another year. Perhaps after a year many of the issue's that always comes with a new release will be resolved. My perspective is that Win 11 is worse than any unstable version of a linux distro. 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

I have had Windows 11 since July and am in the beta group..

Not had a single problem with it since I installed..

I find much faster than Windows 10, on start up I am running in around 10 seconds with all start up programs loaded..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Hello,

Disregard

0 Likes

Sounds similar to me, Fan noise was driving me up the wall and nothing running. 
My first Ryzen 7 5800x and a Gigabyte B550 MB Aorus Master and the fans have done nothing but ramp up and down even after redoing CPU paste and heatsinking by Cryorig R1 (massive cooler). Why is this happening? 

Until I saw a Youtube video on how to change windows "Processor Power Management" numbers for noisy fans.

They minimum and maximum were both at 100%. I changed to minimum 20% and maximum 98% and wollah! CPU Temperature dropped out of the sky by idle "30C"and the fans just idle along as they should be. What a difference. 

Maybe a ever so slight performance hit of <=1% when testing by multiple benchmarking but I can live with that. Why did windows have 100% for both the minimum and maximum. 

All correct drivers and device files had been loaded many times which made no difference and it was driving me insane! I knew it should not be like  that. 

Now i can say Ryzen love and a quiet computer coexist as it should be.

Minsik.

Australia

In theory there is no difference between theory and Practice,
But in practice there is!
0 Likes

Sounds like your Enermax  AIO went bad since it was working fine until now.

Check to see if the pump is working and fluid is circulating in the hoses. Could be a blockage or air bubble or broken pump etc.

Check to see if the Radiator's fan is running at maximum when the processor starts to overheat.

Make sure you have good air flow in your computer case and it isn't clogged with dust.

I would open a Enermax AIO Warranty if it is still under Warranty.

Fully agree with elstaci..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
WindxwsXP
Adept I

Well, one week passed and I can tell you what happened: Seems like the pump of my old AIO just died, I ordered a new one, fitted that one just now, 30°C when I am on my Desktop, thats how it should be. So yeah, just a broken pump and thats it. Thanks for everyone that answered here, you also helped a lot

0 Likes