Did you mean: 

Processors

PC_Maven
Adept I

CPU Temp high after recent updates

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

CPU Cooler: Corsair AIO system

There's been plenty of threads about the CPU temps for Ryzen 7 / 2nd gen processors where they run at 40-50 degrees at idle. My situation is different as is more about a CPU temp change.

Since installing the CPU two months ago, my temps have been 40-50 degrees as commonly found. Under load, I could see temps upwards of 60-70 degrees, but that was about it.

Recently I noticed the CPU temps idling in the mid 60s and normal load is 70-85 degrees. Nothing changed on the hardware side, but I do recall Windows updating recently.

Has anyone seen this? I am seeing the same rise in temps in several applications - Asus AI Suite, Ryzen Master, and HWInfo.

0 Likes
1 Solution

UPDATE: After combing through BIOS and application settings (without seeing anything to change), as well as a handful of reboots, it seems like temp are back in line. Very odd given the higher temps persisted after a few reboots previously. No idea what was causing the issue although glad to be back in normal temps.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
antonymagnus
Journeyman III

I have seen it stated that all of the AMD based X570 boards run  VERY hot due to PCIE 4.0, and such + add case ambient with a AIR COOLER and this is not good. Cannot explain why it would be different after a MS update though unless MS changed some POWER settings which ironically has happened to me lately? Check Control Panel, then power options and see if MS screwed with defaults. I think the AMD one is probably recommended for most. 

0 Likes

I'm on the Ryzen balanced power profile. IT does seem like an update tweaked something, I haven't had a chance to figure out what though.

My cooling setup is case air cooling + CPU water cooling via a Corsair all-in-one system. The Corsair software shows my coolant temp ~40-45 degrees, which is significantly less than what my PC is reporting on the CPU directly.

I have seen that X570 + Ryzen runs hot, but that's why I mentioned idle is 40-50 degrees as a baseline because that's what those threads typically complain about.

Since my situation looks like more of a software update/config adjustment vs. a hardware concern (since I was running at an expected temp not long ago), I am wondering what else I should check.

0 Likes

That is pretty warm for coolant. What are your pump and fan settings on the AIO and is there any noise from the pump? 

0 Likes

I made sure that Q-fan was turned off so that the AIO pump isn't throttled as a fan, so the pump is running at 100% which is ~3000 RPM. I've run the fan at various speeds and its not affecting the temp. Full speed is about 2650 RPM (have it there now) but prior to the change in temp, I could run the fan at 1200-1600 RPM with the pump at full speed and still have temps in the 40-50s.

0 Likes

UPDATE: After combing through BIOS and application settings (without seeing anything to change), as well as a handful of reboots, it seems like temp are back in line. Very odd given the higher temps persisted after a few reboots previously. No idea what was causing the issue although glad to be back in normal temps.

0 Likes

Bump of this old threat. I am seeing exactly the same while running prime95. 5600x at 1.219V fixed at 4650Mhz

Running memory stress only, it runs fine, after one to three minutes cpu temperature starts to vary and eventually spikes up by 12 degrees past my configured thermal limit. With "friendly" stress test of CPUID temps are about 62-64 Celsius and in idle about 35 Celsius (23 ambient). CPU speed and voltage reading remain stable according to hwinfo. The CPUID all threat stresstest, i can run indefinitely. Which would indicate the cooling solution is working as it should.

Prime95 Thermal test is not possible on the asus board. The previous board which broke, aorus x570 ultra, the same setup ran even the super stressing heat  test of prime95. On the asus board, with much lower voltage configured, cpu temp sky rockets within seconds past thermal limit of 77(asus-crew limit!=limit ?) to 100c before the asus board reboots the system.

System reboots because of spike in temperature, not because of crash/instability. For some reason the bios/board is feeding unneeded power to the cpu. It feels like BIOS is feeding 1.4+volts under extreme load, ignoring the configured safe(?) 1.219 volts.

Anyone figured out what/why setting in bios starts feeding unneeded current/voltage? And/or what causes spikes in temperature, failing the prime95 stress test in seconds.

System: Board is a Asus rog x570-E, cooling a 360mm NXT, amd 5600x@4650Mhz/1,219V

0 Likes