Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jogicat
Journeyman III

CPU sticks at AMD Wraith Prism Cooler

Hello out there,

got some serious problems with my Ryzen 7 2700X and the included AMD Wraith Prism Cooler or with the included thermal paste to be precise. Yesterday I wanted to change the cooler, because it was getting louder and louder. 

During the deinstallation the cpu gets out with the cooler, there are no mechanical damage at the cpu itself, but it sticks on the cooler like the thermal paste was glue. 

I did not overclock the cpu, even game boost was deactivated. Temperature alert of the mainboard was set at 85° Celcius but was never triggered.

I have bought the boxed CPU at 2018-09-30, so there could be a chance of limited warranty, but I cannot get the cpu off the cooler. Tried it with some hair dryer as well as with the fridge (with a cool down period of twelve hours of course) but nothing helps.

Any suggestions?

And sorry for my bad english, got it only at school roundabout 33 years ago...

Best wishes and keep healthy (or get healthy, if possible)

Jogi

0 Likes
10 Replies

Try a thin putty knife or razor blade between the cooler and the cpu. Once you get it going it will pop off pretty easy. If you don't have holder made for the blade use a pair of vice grips to hold the blade. If you have neither of those you could try a flat head screw driver, just be careful and don't pry agains the PCB part of the CPU. Then clean the thermal compound off with Alcohol before applying new compound.

This is why I never use the thermal compound that comes on those box coolers. They are more like glue! Good thermal compound like the thermal grizzly, notctua or actric silver doesn't do that nearly as bad. 

Thank you for your answer, tried it with thin knife like a box cutter, but there is no possibilty to get between the cpu and the cooler. It seems the thermal compound was pressed out of the space between cpu and cooler and seal the whole thing like a silicone joint sealing. And at some point you get no more dried thermal paste out of the gap, but you cannot get into the gap either.

I am really stuck at this point. 

0 Likes

at that point I think I would just use a small flat head screw driver and put the tip between the cpu lid as best you and the cooler and give it a light tap with your palm. It really should not take much force to get it to pop off. Also heating it up with a hair dryer first likely will help a bit. 

here is a video of someone with your issue and what they did.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=cpu+stuck+to+cooler&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kp...

The video sure will be helpfull, but not for me, as there is no gap between cpu and cooler, where I can get something in. The termal paste is on every corner and every side like a silicone joint sealing as I wrote before. I took a look with a magnifying glass and had to watch some videos as the cpu die looks like it was a part of the cooler and not the cpu to be sure where at all set up with the tools. 

Have tried it now with several spatulas, cutter knives, screw drivers I own for modelling, I simply cannot get between the cpu and the cooler.

I think I have lost the fight. Maybe I can get the cpu from the cooler with some kind of hammer and chisel, but than the cpu is wrecked for sure.

0 Likes

Do not use any knife or sharp object!!!!
You will damage your CPU and void the warranty.

I had a similar problem with the default Wraith Prism thermal paste.

Just make sure to detach the metal bracket from one side and slowly jiggle the cooler until it comes off. It may take 10 mins or so, but just be persistent and gentle. It worked for me in the end.

I have then cleaned and replaced the thermal paste with an Arctic mx-4.

0 Likes

Since you said you used the stock cooler with the thermal material that came on it. Open an RMA request to AMD and see if you can exchange it. Tell them you are afraid to damage it and they are welcome to send you the same one back if they can separate it. Or just ask for another. I know they normally want pictures of the serial on the processor but obviously you can't. Hope you still have your box as it should have your serial. Can't hurt to ask AMD. I am going to mention a moderator here maybe they can offer some advice on how to proceed. @Matt_AMD 

The warranty page is here if you end up going that route:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Next time do this:

-unscrew the cooler but don't remove it yet

-twist it, slide it sideways up an down, left and right

-after doing above, pull the cooler vertically, remember to NOT twist, or move the cooler sideways doing so! Just pull it directly, perpendicular to the motherboard

Voila you have your cpu still in mobo! 

0 Likes
Dmitriy1
Journeyman III

When I change the processor, I slightly turn the cooler clockwise and counterclockwise in both directions, slowly and carefully pull it up so that the air gets under the thermal paste and it peels off.

@jogicat wrote:

Hello out there,

got some serious problems with my Ryzen 7 2700X and the included AMD Wraith Prism Cooler or with the included thermal paste to be precise. Yesterday I wanted to change the cooler, because it was getting louder and louder. 

During the deinstallation the cpu gets out with the cooler, there are no mechanical damage at the cpu itself, but it sticks on the cooler like the thermal paste was glue. 

I did not overclock the cpu, even game boost was deactivated. Temperature alert of the mainboard was set at 85° Celcius but was never triggered.

I have bought the boxed CPU at 2018-09-30, so there could be a chance of limited warranty, but I cannot get the cpu off the cooler. Tried it with some hair dryer as well as with the fridge (with a cool down period of twelve hours of course) but nothing helps.

Any suggestions?

And sorry for my bad english, got it only at school roundabout 33 years ago...

Best wishes and keep healthy (or get healthy, if possible)

Jogi

0 Likes

This youtube demonstrates using dental floss to remove stuck heatsinks from CPU. It looked pretty clever to me, and the person in video says they do it successfully all the time. How to Remove a Stuck AMD CPU - YouTube

fyrel
Miniboss

Try dripping some cleaning alcohol around the cpu.

It should be able to slowly seep in and soften the paste.