cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amdangster
Adept I

CPU's pcie lanes query

I am trying to figure out where the max amount of PCIE lanes this AMD cpu can handle

https://www.amd.com/en/product/9936

It says PCIE 4.0 which is what I want, but doesn't say how many lanes it can handle, would anyone know this?

I currently have a build that use the other side's CPU, which has that documented on their website, but this is not the case with AMD's website

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

It has 20 revision 4.0 lanes.

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hello,

It has 20 revision 4.0 lanes.

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

Adding to what @mauser1891  said:

From WikiChips: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/3600xt

Screenshot 2021-10-07 192150.png

Hello,

I decided to keep it short, but that's where I got the information from as it's one of my favorites that I have bookmarked.  lol

Plus you get lanes from the chipset, your "query" is extremely vague and broad...  How about you tell us what your goals are and maybe someone can suggest a proper MB for your CPU.

QB

0 Likes

I figured that is probably where you could have gone to check. I like to upload images because it explains better at times.

0 Likes

Hello Folks,

Providing a short reply I was going to assume that the OP would provide more insight as to why they might be concerned with the type and number of lanes as it was kind of a vague query. Perhaps the OP was going to follow up with the possible thoughts with concerns of saturation or such issue's. It is good that you had provided the visual, as perhaps they might not have access to such websites or might be still learning to do web searches. I am also of mind that things are still best learned by reading. For example I found a very nice informative pdf online about fTPM and the different versions, not to mention the standards and bodies who determine the various versions and basic usage in different devices. And why Microsoft has stated that Win 11 will use the TPM 2.0 standard. Just as I find this portal to be extremely slow as compared to other forums, but at least it exists. I am aware that most also do not read much from the Microsoft TechNet, nor go to there to read as to why their having difficulty with Win 11 yet if they simply stayed with Win 10 and waited for all the issue's to be resolved like most logical folks do. Yes, I am also very aware how some are always distracted by new shiny toys.  lol

Actually I have read the requirement of TPM has been lowered to version 1.5 besides version 2.0 by Microsoft. I guess this was done for the older hardware.

Last year AMD Forum changed their format completely. Using a different model. This new format I am not really thrilled about. At first I like it because it gave more information and graphically was more pleasing than the old format.

But the new format eliminated many useful and nice features that made it more User friendly. It still is, in my opinion, better than other forums as far as being Moderated but subpar compared to the old format.

One thing I noticed is this new AMD Format is like a magnet to Spammers. I haven't seen so many Spammers at AMD Forums except when the new format went into effect. I believe some Spammer got upset when their Spam was deleted and decided to punish AMD Forums by getting many Spammers to hit the forums with Spam.

I updated to Windows 11 and so far it is taking some time to get used to the new Windows format. Windows 10 is easier to use. I am waiting for the AMD Patch for the Ryzen processors to see if my computer runs better.

I know one thing, I bet AMD and Intel, are secretly elated that many Users will now need to purchase a new processor and possibly new motherboard and RAM to be able to qualify to install Windows 11.

At the end, Users with older PC will suffer and will be forced to upgrade their PCs to be able to use Windows 11 but the Manufacturers of PC and Hardware will be very happy because it will increase their profit margins.

But at the same time Microsoft will be alienating businesses who will need to spends hundreds of thousands if not millions upgrading their hardware to be able to use Windows 11.

0 Likes

Hello elstaci,

Very good discussion as I got curious and found even my old scruffy ASRock B450M Steel Legend comes with TPM 2.0, which was released about 2 years ago. Yet TPM was approved in June 2015 by the Trusted Computing Group. This is where I think electrical engineers and the companies their employed by would take this into consideration as a selling point when it becomes relevant. This became an important feature to mobile devices being able to provide the common secure lock and encryption capability for them at boot time.

So overall Microsoft had allowed motherboard makers and others 6 years to implement TPM 2.0 into their product whether they have a board that supports either a Intel or AMD processor. Without even being aware of Win 11 becoming a possibility, I did upgrade my motherboard from my base B450M to a X570 simply for the fact that I was concerned with the VRM's and eventually upgrading to a higher end AM4 processor. My perspective is that I chose to go with AMD is that they stated that AM4 would be supported for I don't know how many years. So even if AMD released a new variant of processor each year and it used the AM4 I wasn't going to have much concern with a processor upgrade. Therefor anyone can merely check to see if their motherboard has TPM and enable it. And in most cases their DDR4 isn't an issue and can be used with a new AM4 based processor. So those who acquired a Ryzen 1600 knew eventually they'd be upgrading their processor to a newer one eventually, or had to consider that they could by merely removing their old one and dropping in a new one. This is why I also took time to choose my DDR4 initially as it wasn't going to be best for my Ryzen 2600, but focused for my eventual processor upgrade. My current 3600XT is capable of 3400, yet I set it to 3200 with the Ryzen 2600 due to the memory controller capability. I had forgotten which Ryzen I had originally focused on with my DDR4, but a mute point now. This is why people who cover tech content like reading AnandTech long ago, but watching people like "Buildzoid", Jim, Steve (GN), Steve (HU), Jay and Paul for example are important.

Yet I reflect on the words on how fast they said their system could boot while others hold the perspective of uptime. Please note that I do appreciate testers as they run into issue's which they get to provide feedback as to what happened back to dev's who go back and resolve those issue's. And eventually I will not need to hopefully and thankfully experience such things.  xD

0 Likes