cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

krethys
Adept I

CPU Runs 80+ on idle (After awakening from sleep)

New Build

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

MSI MEG ACE

Computer runs fine until it sleeps and then awakens, I always have to restart OR manually spin up the fans to 100% for it to cool it down. This is most likely a mobo issue but seeing if anyone has experienced a similar fate. 

Fans will stay at 20% regardless of what I do, temps will slowly creep up, probably until I let it burn out

0 Likes
3 Replies

The processor won't burn out it will just shut down the computer before it is damaged. Still it isn't a good practice for a processor to shut down a computer constantly due to overheating.

Are you using your Motherboard's BIOS Fan settings or a Fan control software like MSI Afterburner or Radeon Wattman?

When did this behavior start to occur?

The same day you installed your processor or just recently after either updating the AMD Driver or Windows Update or MSI software?

EDIT: As a temporarily work around you can always disable "Sleep" and "Hybrid Sleep" in Windows Power Plans until you find a permanent fix.

To make sure your Windows OS is not corrupted or missing important core files run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell - SFC /scannow.

Also in Windows Power Plan make sure you have "Fast Startup" unchecked:

This may cause BSODs and other problems if enabled. Same thing in BIOS Setting. Disable Fast Start.

Did some research on the fast startup. It is an interesting concept and definitely could of impacted my situation. It can prevent the OS from accessing BIOS settings as it appears that the system pages everything in a warm site type environment. I have disabled it and will test it!

krethys
Adept I

I just assembled my entire computer on Saturday, first time it went to sleep around Sunday/Monday, noticed this by monitoring the temps with HWinfo. I found a thread on MSI with similar issue on this MOBO so def a mobo issue. I will diagnose more what is going on. I have Dragoncenter installed but ultimately my MOBO should be controlling the temps. 

0 Likes