cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

el_arantis
Adept III

CPU Power 8+4 pins

First of all I wish Happy New Year 2019 to everyone !!!

My motherboard has 12 pins for cpu power (8 classic + 4 extras).

Do I have to use all 12 or only the 8 classic ones?

Thank you in advance for helping

PC Specs:

O/S: Windows 10 Pro x64 v1809 RS5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

M/B: Asrock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 (BIOS v1.90)

GPU: MSI AMD Radeon R9 390X 8GB Gaming

RAM: G.Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX

PSU: Seasonic 1000W (Focus Gold 80+)

HDD: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB

Drivers:

Chipset Drivers 18.10.1810

Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.3 Optional

0 Likes
15 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Use both connectors on the motherboard (8pin+4pin), they power more than just the CPU on the motherboard.

Check the motherboards manual for details.  

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

I looked at manual but it does not give any specific information about it.

I searched google and read that it has to be used for extreme overclocking only.

Does anyone have more knowledge about it?

0 Likes
el_arantis
Adept III

Hello billy72,

Fortunately my PSU gives me 2 4+4 connectors, so I used first 4+4 (8 pin) and only the 4 pin from the second one.

I suppose that even if no improvement happens here, no harm will be caused, so I did it.

Moreover I noticed that at all core usage clock speed is around 3.9-4.0GHz and when less core are in use clock speed is around 4.35GHz

I suppose this is normal and the system is not underperforming (or not?)

Thank you for replying.

Wish you Happy New Year!!!

0 Likes
yahaway
Adept II

I think OP is correct about the +4 pin...it's an extra power boost for overclocking cpu voltages. I have a msi x470 with 8+4 cpu power connector as well...manual says as much about the overclocking. I don't mess with overclocking so my +4 power socket remains vacant. Ryzen 1700x runs like a champ.

0 Likes

Both power connectors should be hooked up. Some power supplies do not have the extra ATX12V connector to handle dual connectors.

You know what? I just now looked at OP's specs and noticed his cpu is a 2nd gen Ryzen. My bad, hardcoregames (and others) is correct...he will need to supply power to 8+4.

Now for those like me who has a 1700x stock in a x470 motherboard then the +4 is completely optional. If I ever decided to upgrade to a 2700x or if I wanted to push my current 1700x to extreme overclock values then I would need to plug in the extra +4. Doing so now (for those like me) wouldn't help or hinder performance as far as I understand.

0 Likes
Earthrider
Journeyman III

Hello, this is my first post :)

I also have an X570 board that has 8+4 CPU Power that I will be putting a Ryzen 7 5800x, I want to connect both, I'm wondering if there is a list of recommended PSU's somewhere for this, I can't find any, also I assume an 8+8 with one or both being 2x4 would be fine?

0 Likes

If you have a MBD with a 8 pin and a 4 pin, check the spec/manual it should state if both are needed.

To give you an idea of the power provided, the pins will be rated for either 6A or 7A.  This means for each +12V (yellow) and ground (black) pair the MBD can safely draw at least 72W.  So a 4 pin will provide 144W, an 8 pin 288W, an 8 + 4 pin 432W, and 8 + 8 pin 576W.  Of course those power ratings are dependant on the power supply total output capability too.  And the max power drawn by the MBD will be more than the CPU consumes due to loss as the voltage is regulated down to the CPU voltages.

You may also find the PSU has 2 x 8pin only and the MBD has enough clear space adjacent to the 4pin, you can safely use only 4 of the 8 pins to connect the second one (one of the ends of an 8 pin is identical to a 4 pin connector).

Carefully reading the manual it only states for each socket, please connect, it does mention if using a 4 pin on the 8 pin connection which end to place it, looks to be a fan header right next to the 4 pin too so guess that will limit choices, 

0 Likes

What's the MBD make and model?

0 Likes

Mine is Asrock X570 Taichi

0 Likes

I would suggest searching for a PSU that has a X8 and x4 or one that the second x8 can come apart or is 2 x4 that.  My Corsair RM850 is modular and comes with 2 x8 cables which are 2 x4 clipped together and another cable that is 2 x4 without the clip.  There are many which have a similar setup.

0 Likes

Thanks, Yes seems to way to go, cheers :)

0 Likes

Thanks

Got a 2x 4+4 now so covered in all scenarios 

0 Likes